OMG NEW COH*flat line*

It's a great game in my opinion. Not the most realistic, but definitely fun!

I have both games (COH and COH: Opposing Fronts). I'm assuming that the new game will cover the Eastern Front?

Graphics and sound are fantastic and it's not your run-of-the-mill RTS where mad rushes with overwhelming numbers guarantee success. To win, you actually have to flank and use combined arms. It's great to watch infantry units go about their business too as they use cover quite well on their own (good Tac-AI) and don't need a lot of micro-management.

Also, no resource gathering. Unit availability is based on the amount of territory you capture and hold.

Here's a well written review of this game: http://jaguarusf.blogspot.com/2007/03/company-of-heroes-review.html

Hope that helps!

Well done Wilhammer, you've got someone apologizing for using COH for Company of Heroes in a Company of Heroes thread on the pretext it can be confused with Conflict of Heroes. Amazingly well played. Evil, but well played.

Seems a post of mine got lost somehow. It contained amazement at a board wargame whose visuals aren't a crime against humanity. Also, bemused at naming the Ostfront fighting as a "Conflict of Heroes". Was "Bastards on Both Sides" taken?

Well done Wilhammer, you've got someone apologizing for using COH for Company of Heroes in a Company of Heroes thread on the pretext it can be confused with Conflict of Heroes. Amazingly well played. Evil, but well played.

Seems a post of mine got lost somehow. It contained amazement at a board wargame whose visuals aren't a crime against humanity. Also, bemused at naming the Ostfront fighting as a "Conflict of Heroes". Was "Bastards on Both Sides" taken?

Nah, it is all GJK's fault!

Battling Bastards

Hateful Heroes

Kill 'Em All

Nazis vs Commies

Two harsh in a PC world...I blame it on the whole piggy back a name theory - it all began with Band of Brothers - sounds lovely, and so peaceful like.

Nah, it is all GJK's fault!

Battling Bastards

Hateful Heroes

Kill 'Em All

Nazis vs Commies

Two harsh in a PC world...I blame it on the whole piggy back a name theory - it all began with Band of Brothers - sounds lovely, and so peaceful like.

Heh, sorry about the confusion. :cool:

Bill, will do on the COH review - I've already downloaded and printed the rules and it looks like it'll be a fun little game. What will be nice is that armor will be an easy introduction instead of like ASL (which I'm still learning). I pre-ordered my copy of COH from wargamedepot.com btw.

Ok, I'll turn it back over to you pixel pushers for chat about your game.

My pre-orders at GMT and Wargamedopt are breaking the wargame budget.

I have 4 due this month!

Conflict of Heroes looks enticing, but I recently got burned on another hyped up game (Blackbeard), and this one is, so far, almost all hype.

Like you, I want simpler than ASL. LnL's offerings don't quite click with me.

So, Mr. Frenchie speaking guy, do you just surrender at the start screen or at least wait until the AI fires a shot?

Oh sweet irony. The quote is that of a French general seeing the Light Brigade smash itself to pieces. With that having happened, the Brits refused to send in the Heavy Brigade to cover the survivors. This left the cheese eating surrender monkeys to charge in and save them. Which they did, crashing through the Russian lines and covering the retreat of remnants of the Light Brigade.

Oh sweet irony. The quote is that of a French general seeing the Light Brigade smash itself to pieces. With that having happened, the Brits refused to send in the Heavy Brigade to cover the survivors. This left the cheese eating surrender monkeys to charge in and save them. Which they did, crashing through the Russian lines and covering the retreat of remnants of the Light Brigade.

As the French say...."touche!"

haha

Yes, please post some reviews of Company of Heroes (PC) and Conflict of Heroes (boardgame).

And what is with LnL using "hero" in what seems to be every other boardgame title??

Will do Dakuman. I know that the developer of COH has said that a VASSAL module was in the works or being looked into, so online/pbem play support will be forthcoming as well. Everything that I've read shows that this is a real clean and easy system to get into. You can download the rules from the companyof heroes website if you want to get an idea of how it plays.

• 5 weeks later...

A buddy has bought this game, and we played the intro firefight 4 times last night.

The game is great - because of the high level if interactivity, it plays like a computer game; actions are intertwined; it's like a knife fight, fast, brutal and chaotic.

Basically, units get Action Points, and the Scenario gets Command Action Points.

CAPs can be spent to activate units, modify combat die rolls, and the start of each turns initiative roll.

Units 'activate' one at a time, player alternating. When done, they flip to the finished side. Activation can be a combination of actions, as long as you have the APs.

Each unit gets 7 APs inherent.

A Russian squad typically takes 1 AP to move a hex (with modified costs based on terrain). It costs 4 APs to fire, so a typical Russian Squad can fire once, move 3. German squad cost 3 to fire, so they could fire twice, move once - etc.

A Russian MMG costs 3 to move a typical hex, a German LMG crew just 1.

A unit gets a defense value inherent to it modified by facing and terrain, a typical squad being 11/12; 11 flanked (rear three hexes) and 12 frontal, modifed by terrain -woods is 2, for example.

Units fire with 2D6 plus the units firepower, range modified, and CAP modified, a unit could have up to two CAPs added to it. A typical German squad has 3 firepower.

So, if the German Squad rolled a 10, added 3 for firepower at a Russian Squad in light woods (+1 terrain), we get 13 vs 13 - a hit.

The hit unit drops a 'damage chit' from a cup; anything from almost no effect to KIA can happen. Should a unit get two hits, it is dead. Units can rally to remove hit chits. A typical one might be 7 or 8 on the hit chit to rally, and requires an equal to or higher roll to rally.

If a hit roll is greater than a 3 difference for the attacker, the defending unit takes 2 hits, killing it.

While the active enemy unit moves, you can opportunity fire, but should you do that, you get flipped to inactive. However you could play CAPs to spend APs outof sequence as a reaction move, and avoid flippage.

As you see, CAPs are a valuable resource.

The result is a game that is highly interactive - and I swear it plays as if it were a computer game.

That is it in a nutshell.

Its simplicity is not any indication of inadequacy -and indeed makes it possible to buy and play within 30 minutes, and can be taught to a young child, and enjoyed by the hardest grog.

As to physical quality - it is correct to say that NOTHING exceeds it in quality of production.

If you do any board wargaming, you can do no wrong buying this game.