I'm Back...Questions about SC2

Hi Everyone...Been lurking here for a while. Old member from back in 2002. Bought the original SC and liked it, but admittedly moved on to other games (so many games, so little time).

Anyway, Looking at getting SC2 finally with the WAW and all that. I thought SC2 was now on version 1.08, but WAW is version 1.05??? Somewhat confused on that.

Is the editor good enough to design battles? That's what I'd end up doing. I really like the world map, but is it really playable? Reminds me of the old Global War game from SPI. Yet I remember that game you hardly ever invaded South America or Africa, the map was basically divied as "developed" areas adn "undeveloped" areas, so no point in attacking areas without resources, etc.

I know some of this has been covered here and there in threads, but if anyone has specific input on their experiences that would be great.

What is the largest map capable with the editor in terms of tiles?

BTW - I prefer hexes over tiles, tiles over regions.

Hey geoZ, you're the dog with the human teeth over at Matrix. Welcome back to the cutting edge of Grand Strategy, not bad on the operational scope either, rivals TOAW.

Yes you have the versions' updates correct, WaW includes some expansion on unit availability and other features as well, you'll need to look at the "read me" files with each update.

If you're doing battles/campaigns like say PanzerArmee Africa, SPI's old boardgame, SC2 WaW is excellent for that, they're called mini-campaigns and a number of them are included in each expansion.

The Map potential is huge, more than enough for most anything except maybe global. I believe in my present PzAA map it is like 160 by 70 tiles and that was about one fourth of what was available as I recollect. Someone here can probably give you the exact maximum dimensions.

All the tools are here, scripts too, the difficulty level is like TOAW for scenario creation. Have at it!

Thanks for the warm welcome SeaMonkey... yes it is I... from Matrix forums. Love those big Dog Teeth!!!

Anyway, as things have wound down on my scenario designs over there, I'm looking at doing some stuff with SC2. I'd like to know more about its capabilities, but likely will just buy it and go at it.

I can envision many scenarios, especially would like to port some of my designs from the Pacific Theater... Okinama, Saipan/Tinian, Singapore, etc. I can also see where WWI could be done (read some things here on another thread, and really liked the idea). Also Global War style cold war era stuff or even smaller battles...

Can smaller "battles" be done, thus changing the "scale" of the tiles???? If so, I'd do a really cool Bay Of Pigs style battle I've tooled around with for some time, and also port my Angola Civil War game from my VASSAL Engine designs. I can also see potential to do American Revolutionary War and Civil War.

Any more feedback from folks here would be great!!!

GeoZero,

Thanks for your interest and just to confirm that yes the Editor is very flexible and includes a built in Help File written by Bill Macon that covers all the editing capabilities. Essentially you can create fully customized maps including events, AI scripts, custom text and so on.

For some examples of custom mods, please take a look at the full customized campaign list over at CMMODS:

http://www.cmmods.com

Hope this helps,

Hubert

I really like the editor and plan to try building a huge world campaign with it - question is will there be forward compatability? I think there is. I mean, say I develop a campaign for WAW and then decide to port it to PDE - I can just update it, I don't have to do the whole thing over from scratch, right?

I don't get yet what the export data is for - do I need to do that to save my work?

So GeoZ since your scenario design work is winding down, does that mean CA is imminent for release? This year maybe?

Don't violate the ND, but all the mechanics are working correctly?

Well, I can't and won't violate the NDA. But what I can tell you is that the game is rock solid with no crashes. I honestly don't even have an update myself. Some scenarios will need to be tweaked (and playtested).