Paper Tiger Screenshots

I've accumulated quite a large number of screenshots during the course of designing my campaigns and quite a few of them have got 'lost' in one thread or another. Therefore I have decided to create this thread to post some of the better ones and as I get closer to completing a new mission I can post some of the better screenies here as appetisers.

This first set of three come from my favourite, and most photogenic, mission, 'Buying the farm' from Hasrabit.

newfarm.jpg

farming.jpg

newfarm1.jpg

I have my reasons for starting with photos from this mission as it gives me the opportunity to post some screenies of the retextured Hasrabit maps that will be used in Hasrabitv3.

Farm2.jpg

and this one is just rubbish...:D

Farm3.jpg

I guess I've just decided not to bother about making things too green to be convincingly Syrian anymore. More temperate looking maps are definitely more visually appealing anyway.

The last two, for the time being, come from the older version of 'The farm'.

farm1.jpg

newfarm2-2.jpg

Unfortunately, I forgot to switch off the floating icons for that last one but it really shows the devastaton that is wreaked on the terrain features during the course of this mission.

Anyway, the next set will come from 'Strong Stand'. This final picture is an oldie and later I'll post some of the new action pics from the new retextured map.

strongaction1.jpg

Can somebody explain to me why everybody else gets to post these great big detailed images while when I post screenshots from Photobucket I end up with stupid little thumbnails nobody can see?

It probably helps to know a bit of HTML but basically I find that what gets pasted in is an "anchor" (hypertext link) element with a thumbnail image that when clicked on opens a larger image. Just edit the HTML so there is no anchor element and make it so the image element uses the one linked to instead. Hope that makes sense.

Well, I haven't got the 'Strong Stand' pictures ready as I've been playtesting a couple of missions that will be part of the full Perdition campaign. I thought I'd post a couple of screenies from these even though it'll be some time before you'll get to play them.

FirstBlood1.jpg

This is from the first mission in the campaign and it's tentatively called 'First Blood'. So far, it's rivalling 'The Farm' for sheer fun for me. I have been playtesting a version with a Stryker MOUT company with some Stryker MGs and plenty of air support and it's working really well. When the Marines arrive, I'll be able to swap the MOUT company for a Marines company with some support vehicles and Bob's your uncle.

FirstBlood3.jpg

This second one has some action in it. At the moment, Blue force is a Mech Infantry company with BTRs. So far, it's shaping up to be a really good fight.

This last one is from a later mission called 'Battle for the bridges' or just 'Bridges' for the time being.

Bridges3.jpg

The map for this one is very big, almost as big as 'Flames' in the mini campaign. These missions are both MUCH more infantry oriented than the three mission in the mini campaign although there are some tanks to keep it interesting for me.

This one comes from 'The Road to Amarah', the first mission in the Perdition mini campaign. When I took it, I couldn't help marvel how much computer game technology has advanced in my not-so-long lifetime.

Newroad2.jpg

That's using M1A1 Tank Commander's superlative Syrian Faces Mod.

NewRoad1.jpg

Here's another one that shows off his faces again. And yes, that's Scipio's Flames Mod in the background too. Another must have Mod. Thsnks to both you guys for doing this excellent work.

Handihoc:

The plan is to develop two campaigns using more or less the same maps, one as Red v Red which will be called 'Perdition' and a second Marines v AI which as yet has no title or structure. The battles will probably be quite similar although I expect I'll have to significantly upgrade the Syrian opponent in the Marines campaign. At the moment, the first few battles in the Red v Red campaign are BTR Mech Infantry with poor tanks v Reserves (Conscripts or Green with low motivation), occassionally with really crappy tanks. That turns out to be a very well balanced set-up for Red v Red but the US player would be able to walk over these Reserve forces with scarcely a casualty.

The reason for using the same maps for my Marines campaign is not so much lack of imagination or laziness on my part but rather because there are a significant number of people who just will not play Red v Red because there's no US forces. This'll give them the chance to play on some of the new maps. And, I want to play around with the new Marines equipment as well. As long as they're not inundated with javelins, I think I can make an interesting and challenging campaign for the Blue playing community.

So far, I've got two missions for the Red v Red finished ('First Blood' and 'Battle for the bridges') and one for the Blue v Red campaign. Right now, I'm hard at work getting a load of new maps drawn up. Hopefully, I'll be able to start playtesting a new mission before the weekend. I have had some really terrific ideas for the full Perdition campaign over the weekend which I've scribbled out on paper. It's really coming together now and I'm really keen to make this one REALLY special.

I love the tanks in this game, particularly the Russian equipment. Here are three photos of tanks in action.

Flames3-1.jpg

This first one is an in-game photo from mission 3 of Perdition. It's probably one of my favourites as the graphics are very sharp and it makes the terrain look very realistic. It's a T-62MV.

hasnew.jpg

This one's from the final mission of the Hasrabit campaign. Those T-55 MVs are basking in the warm evening sunlight providing overwatch for their advancing infantry. One of my elite Sniper teams on a rooftop opens fire on an enemy MG team and... bam..

haspano.jpg

Scratch one elite sniper team. Overkill but a very satisfying TAC AI response. Notice the shell streaking through the air towards it's target.

Yeah, the tanks are outstanding. The detail quite wonderful. I've got Gordon Molek's excellent Plain Russian Vehicles mod installed, which makes them look battered, weathered and tarnished, and it's really effective.

I also love the animation when a tank or other vehicle takes a non-fatal hit and rocks back on its tracks. Superb programming (I assume by the maestro, Charles). There is so much in this game that really impresses.