Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Uncon Scenario Help

Hi, I discovered Shock force a couple of weeks ago and have been having great fun with it (despite getting my ass kicked all over the shop). I decided to try my hand at scenario making with a blue v red(Uncon) map in an urban setting. I'm quite pleased with the map, but even a relatively small force of US troops are able to stomp all over the Uncons. I've got them all set up to ambush the Americans but the typical result is that they get off one RPG round (which generally misses) and then my forces return fire and either pin them or kill them almost immediatley. So I'm looking for advice on tactics for the Uncons or adivce from people who've made similar scenarios. I'm unwilling to make them all bullet munching supermen or load them up with top of the range equipment as I'd like to keep some semblance of realism.

On a side note, I decided to make a mine field to stop the blue forces from taking advantage of an exposed flank, no matter how many mines I pack in there it's still possible to drive a force through with only light casualties. Are mine fields worth it?

Uncons don't have to outnumber the US forces, but careful scenario design can make them very effective even with lower quality troops.

Build your map so the US has no clear lines of sight to the Uncons until they are in a vulnerable position e.g. they have to walk down a certain street that makes them come

into an ambush at close range where they have no cover, etc. And set your Uncons to ambush at 75m so they don't reveal themselves too early.

Well thanks everyone for the tips, some very valuable info. This games great but it's not exactly easy for a beginner. Adam, thats got to be one of the most comprehensive explanations of ambush tactics i've seen so thanks very much, you even answered my next question which was going to be how do you get rpg's to kill things, I'll deffinatley try that scenario you recomended, thanks again.

Adam,

Brilliant post! And your comment about BTR vulnerability is sig worthy. Too bad certain other juicy obstacles aren't modeled in game to further confound the "crusaders." These include barriers made of flaming truck tires in the streets, and stairwells jammed up with truck tires held together with barbed wire. In U.S. MOUT tests, the latter method was found to be enormously effective, especially since attempts to clear the obstacle and advance were met with hand grenades tossed from above, resulting in lots of simulated U.S. casualties.

Regards,

John Kettler