Zimbabwe Campaign?

I've installed the Africa Theatre mod and the African Combatants/Fighters mod, and am looking forward to birdstrike's Syrian uniform mods, some of which would be suitable for African regulars or militia (assuming the uniform mod won't overwrite the African theatre mod files).

If all of this was installed, I'm thinking a hypothetical invasion of Zimbabwe to depose the Mugabe regime could be simulated as a new campaign.

Would anyone else welcome such a campaign? Not that I'm volunteering to make it mind you - just asking! ;)

I think America is now starting to put Zimbabwe in its sights following the harassment of its Diplomatic staff in Zimbabwe, so maybe we'd see US paratroopers or something in Zimbabwe one day. Alternatively, how about an all African campaign, with forces drawn from African Union member states sent in to topple the illegal regime.

Would be interesting to see some sort of African campaign. Not sure if US forces would fit in however, as it is doubtful US will ever get involved in any African conflict. Too overstretched with Iraq as it is, no real economic gain, and the cold hard truth that first world nations don't care about Africa. Plus for the last 50 years Africa was mostly under British, French and Soviet/Russian influences.

More likely development is a UN sanctioned force drawn from neighbouring African states. Could be a fun Red on Red campaign. Otherwise it will be Abrams tanks vs T-55s. Doubt Zimbabwe has Kornet complexes either.

I just did a little experimental scenario using the "Africa Theatre Mod" and the "African Combatants/Fighters" Mod. Syrian Reserve Motorised Infantry represented a hypothetical African Union intervention force, and Syrian Uncon Combatants represented Mugabe's so-called "War Veterans". I made the terrain fairly flat with tall yellow grass and brush to represent African savannah and some fairly African-looking trees. The result was quite close to what I'd expect in a hypothetical invasion.

All I need now is the Marines module, so the African Union troops have some trucks to ride into battle in, and Mugabe's days are numbered! ;)

Hey, that's spooky!! I have spent the last few days weighing up the possibility of an African campaign based around Zimbabwe. Looked extensively on Wiki and Google Earth at OOB and geographical layout.

T-54/55's and the chinese variants seem to be Mugabe's main armour. Having looked at the map, I doubt that either US or UK would ever think about going in, as it would require cooperation from one of the neighbouring African countries to launch the invasion from. Don't think that would be very forthcoming.

I think a more realistic campaign would be African Nations going in and sorting the problem out themselves. It may also be a more balanced campaign, as long as you leave South Africa out of the equation. They have vastly superior equipment and numbers for the area. The equipment is also unique and would therefore not be possible to replicate in CMSF without a serious amount of work from Steve & co.

So, budding designers, Red v Red campaign is the way forward, the gauntlet is down.

Regards, Darren

• 3 weeks later...

Combatintman, how would you invisage the British going into Zim? As I said, it's a landlocked country, so it would require cooperation from a neighbour, which I don't think would happen.

Also, where are we going to get the troops from? We are way overstretched already, and would not be able to sustain another Theatre of operations for any length of time. Added to that, we are on the back foot now, a lbit like the Americans after Vietnam, we don't want to go into another country, uninvited, and try to solve their political problems, as you end up with the same situation as in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I have a solution to the manpower problem though. National Service. Get a bit of disipline back into this country. Not only will it solve our crime problems, but it may slow the immigration situation too, as people may be more reluctant to come to the land of plenty when they have to give something back.....just my two pennies worth.

Regards, Darren

One should not forget that when Coalition forces went into Afghanistan it too was a landlocked country and the only viable ally in the area - Pakistan - had been instrumental in the Taliban gaining power in Afghanistan in the first place. There was some pretty forceful arm-twisting applied to Pakistan to get them to allow overflights by cruise missiles etc.

That is a very valid point, although the Pakistani leadership were, if not allies, certainly saw what side their bread was buttered from an early stage. Not sure Mozambique, which is the only really viable neighbour to Zimbabwe suitable to launch an attack from (South Africa are out of the equation IMHO) has quite so much at stake, but I am ignorant to their politics and relationships with the West.

FMB, sorry I wasn't referring to a campaign in CMSF, but rather in reality, as I think Combatintman was. I wholeheartedly agree that in the game, anything goes, if it's good, I'll play it!!

Cheers, Darren

Cheers for the link Combatintman, that is a very informative thread, and your post in particular is full of great information.

You answered my main point within it, which is overflying Mozambique and worrying about the consequences afterwards. Interesting thoughts, although having just watched the Politics Show this morning on BBC, and the head of Britiains armed forces saying that they are overstretched at the currently levels of deployment, I can't see anything materialising in the near future, mores the pity for the poor people of Zimbabwe.

Regards, Darren

Guardsman,

When I wrote that I hadn't given Botswana due consideration - they might be a safer bet for basing and would probably be up for it given the fact that the Zimbabwean Ambassador was 'gripped' by the Botswanan Government just recently. I am of course aware that we are ... can I say it ... 'overstretched'. Come what may, when the British Module is released on CMSF I would like to play a load of Africa-based scenarios.