Editor Help

I am working my way through the editor and find it a bit bewildering, especially when it comes to deploying units. I haven't attempted the scripting part yet.

It seems when you deploy units - even reinforcements - they are slapped together. Trying to distinguish which are my initial deploy troops and which are reinforcements is next to impossible short of remembering unit designations as to initial deployment and which are reinforcements. Am I mistaken? Be nice if there were a color cue for R1 units, R2 units, etc...

How does one place a reinforcement entry point - just place the units where you want them to come in?

Thanks in advance.

Frenchy:

-Am I mistaken? Be nice if there were a color cue for R1 units, R2 units, etc...-

nice idea. Yes, deploying units can be a BIG JOB! Usually, the entire force is dumped in one corner of the map and it's hard to see the formations. However, the whole process can be speeded up by double-clicking on a single unit and all other units in it's formation will be selected too. Then you can move them all to a clear part of the board and mount them up etc. Then continue, sorting units into their larger formations in the separate board areas until everything is sorted. Finally, return everything to the set-up zones where you want them.

Reinforcements must be placed where they will enter the map as there is no 'Reinforcement entry point' in CMx2 (yet)

ALL of the above is important for the side/s you intend the human player to play. However, if one side is intended to be played solely by the AI then just drag and drop EVERYTHING into that sides set-up zone and the AI plan will do all the rest for you, mount - dismount, groups and formations, reinforcements etc... As long as you create a new group for the reinforcements, you can specify where they will enter the board in the AI plan.

Scripting's not as hard as it appears. Play around a bit with it and watch what happens. And there are a few threads in this forum about how to do it if you need some help.

Good luck man

The very first thing I do, be it in the editor or deploying for a battle, is scroll though the units in order with the "+" key and group them together in parade-like formations - HQs in front, followed by their squads, followed by their support weapons and vehicles.

Not only does that give you a much better idea of the force composition, but also makes it easier to find the units you need once you start positioning them into their pre-battle spots.

Rather than doing the whole lot in one - create your OOB piecemeal - that way you will not be overwhelmed. Also you click on a command unit and it highlights the rest of that unit so easy to move em to another part of the map then sort em out as The Louch describes.

Reinforcement units and units with an allocated AI group show their respective group number in their icon in the 3D view (bottom left hand corner).

I have finally completed my first battle using the editor. The final result has been posted at CMMODS. I am looking for feedback so I can improve the battle and apply improvements in future scenarios.

Battle is titled "Morgan's Stand" and is an adaption of one I did for CMBO many years ago.

Originally posted by The Louch:

The very first thing I do, be it in the editor or deploying for a battle, is scroll though the units in order with the "+" key and group them together in parade-like formations - HQs in front, followed by their squads, followed by their support weapons and vehicles.

Not only does that give you a much better idea of the force composition, but also makes it easier to find the units you need once you start positioning them into their pre-battle spots.

Ha! I thought I was the only anal retentive idiot who did that.

Originally posted by thewood:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by The Louch:

Ha! I thought I was the only anal retentive idiot who did that. </font>