Move to Contact

Am concurring with Darkmage & FightingSeabee here that Hunt is pretty much an advance to contact routine especially if used with a selective target arc. Especially since 1.06 Hunt with an arc provides good intuition to WEGO orders.

edit.. ohp, sorry I just read the "hold fire" bit which would cover the hunt and hide option which i shall now, to make up for my overzealous and unfounded concurring, dutifully go and test smile.gif

edit2.. excuse the crumbs from humble pie; having playtested numerous options there is no actual "advance to contact then hold fire" possible. Which is a pity coz it would be most useful. The short target-arc effectively limits the search aspect of the HUNT so the units hunting don't spot until they reach the target arc. And whilst Hunt works really well, the units Hunting will stop and go to ground immediately but will, even if given a HIDE order, open fire.

[ February 25, 2008, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: missinginreality ]

Hmmmm, much chin stroking and sage-like nodding..well, I WAS sure about it but a niggling doubt nagged at me after FightingSeabee's post so did more testing and found an interesting thing re small arcs.

I moved a squad around a corner towards an Opfor squad. HUNT command, short arc. Yes they definitely spotted all the Opfor units outside of the arc, the small target arc kept them from engaging BUT the small target arc also kept them from responding as per HUNT so they just kept on walking, not engaging the enemy outside their target arc nor stopping so it all ended very ugly.

Originally posted by missinginreality:

I moved a squad around a corner towards an Opfor squad. HUNT command, short arc. Yes they definitely spotted all the Opfor units outside of the arc, the small target arc kept them from engaging BUT the small target arc also kept them from responding as per HUNT so they just kept on walking, not engaging the enemy outside their target arc nor stopping so it all ended very ugly.

That's what a Hunt command combined with a target arc is supposed to do. From the manual:

"Hunt - Infantry - this command maximizes the unit’s awareness for possible

enemy contact. Soldiers are advancing slowly, weapons

ready. Upon seeing any enemy units, the unit stops immediately.

This is a good command to use when enemy contact is

imminent. In combination with a Target Arc command, Hunt is

restricted to only the area within the arc, and ignores enemy

units from outside the arc."