I can't send e-mail attachments, either.

I'm trying ti get some Mods out & I can't seem to get a File to a Winderz guy that opens properly. I'm Mac, IE 5, outlook express, on a Router connected to an Earthlink DSL line. I'm using Dropstuff. I read the other thread but couldn't get anywhere. Someone thought there may be settings for sending cross-platform but I can't find it in the 'help' & what I see in the program is over my head. I've been able to send it to myself from one account to another, but maybe that doesn't really count. I'm also trying to get another Mac guy to let me use him as a Guinea Pig. Hep me, hep me!

So your email receiver is unable to receive and/or read your attachments ? But any account of yours that you send to seems to receive it fine ? Is this recipient on a mass market web-based email system (like Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.) ? If so there are limitations on the size of the attachments (though I would think that you would get a 'bounce back' telling you that the message couldn't go through).

I can't figure out where to set this, but you may not want BIN HEX encoding for your attachments (which is the standard on the Mac I believe). I can't remember what your other encoding options are (7/8 bit ?), but you'll probably want to try those. Also, are you using a compression program that can make ZIP files ? This tends to help when sending files (size and compatibility).

I've successfully sent JPEGs (' Can I release this Mod using your blah blah blah...') but I can't get the actual files across. I tried Zipit, but it wasn't registered so maybe that was the problem there. It opened as Simpletext Documents when I sent it to me. I had a demo of Dropstuff, which worked for me but not for the Win guy I was sending to. It makes .sit files. The binhex thing sounds right but the demo has expired & I can't check the prefs or whatever. I'm not too cheap to cough $20.00 for the right program, I'm just kinda new to this e-mail thing & stumbling around in the dark. I should probably try to get some Mac Modder to clue me in, so I could figure out if I'm just unaware of something or I've got a unique problem.

I'm not aware of all the shareware compression programs on the Mac. Basically Aladdin's Stuffit Deluxe can make PC compatible .ZIP files. I'm not aware of any PC compression programs that can handle .SIT compressed files.

If your compressed files are being recognized as SimpleText documents then something is wrong with the way your compression program registered with the desktop (or whatever). You may want to attempt to rebuild your desktop file and see if this helps at all or not. Most likely you'll need to reinstall the compression program. You'll probably want to find a good compression program that can make cross-platform compatible files and purchase it.

[ April 09, 2002, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Ah haaa. Michael...have you tried DropZip from Alladin..there should be a free demo on the web page.

I use DropZip to send mods to CMHQ or pc testers and it works. Just make sure the encoding is set up for PC.

Get another demo of it.

If you get DropZip...open up its preference and click on UUEncoding.Tick the box "Convert file format for DOS.

Click on MacBinary and make sure it is NEVER selected smile.gif

Things might work this time. But that Hotmail account will also be a problem as there is a limit to the size of the attachments allowed...i have had files/pix that were just over 100k returned to me from a Hotmail user.

Hope this helps...just knew there was somfink else i forgot to tell you smile.gif

Regards

Måkjager

ps...try some Mac magazines that come with cds...they sometimes have the software included smile.gif

[ April 11, 2002, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Måkjager ]