which vidio cards have you tested this on

I have a ati 800 X grafix card and I see from the demo it does not have or can not use open gl

drivers. Can't seem to get much info from ati's

web site on open gl.

So could some one , any one , send me in the right direction as to which grafix cards seem to work.

(and by the way this demo does run on my laptop.) but I would realy like to play this game on my gamming reg.

Thanks

The ATI Radeon x800 should work with CMSF. That videocard does support OpenGL to the extent that CMSF needs. In fact older Radeons will work with CMSF (Radeon 9600 series, etc.).

Which Catalyst driver are you using ? The full Catalyst driver install will install the necessary OpenGL drivers/libraries that CMSF would need.

What Windows version are you running ? Which version of the CMSF demo are you using (1.07 being the latest) ? When you install the demo and attempt to run it, what do you see ?

There are some issues with Radeons and CMSF. In fact there is a mouse/cursor fix built-into CMSF to account for the problem (though, strangely, not every ATI user needs it). It's also possible that the latest Catalyst driver 8.3 or other 8.x releases) may cause problems with CMSF and down-grading to an earlier 7.xx release may be in order.

Thanks for a fast responce , the drivers i have on the system now are "8-3_xp32_dd_59746"

version 8.471.0.0. they work well with CMAK.

but the open GL part does not work with this card ..

So what I am looking for is a tip for a good grafix card maybe a year or so old (not to much $) that does Open GL well and also Direct X .

nvidia or ATI I don't care I have used all of them in the past . I have a super PCI mother board and amd 939 , 3200 prosseser

thanks

Is your Socket 939 motherboard AGP or PCI-Express ? Generally I assume it may be AGP since most of the Radeon x800 cards were AGP. This listing (of sorts) tells which bus most Socket 939 boards had.

You'll probably have slightly better luck with an Nvidia-based videocard, since you've already experienced problems with an ATI-based one.

For AGP an Nvidia 7600GT would probably be about the best, but there weren't a whole lot of them made. A more common model in that range is the 7600GS (a bit slower) with 256Mb. You could also pick up some used 6800s (6800GT, 6800GS, etc.), which ranged from 128 to 256Mb.

For PCI-Express, again a 7600GT or 7600GS would be a pretty good purchase. You could possibly find a 7950 used, but you may pay a bit of a premium for it.

All of these videocards are DirectX 9 and tend to have fewer problems with CMx1 and CMSF games (though they're not always bug free). If you step up to the 8600, 8800 and 9600 series, then you may experience some problems with CMx1 titles (especially under Vista).

Schrullenhaft

thanks for the info

my MB is PCI Express also called (super PCI)

and by the by my system will play almost anything

MS Flight Sim X , Imperium Rome , Settlers Rise of Nations.

all put out in the last few months.........

and many more...........

So you are saying the Nvidia 7500GT should work ?

can't use the 9600 ati as it is agp.

(had one in my old system...)

I will check it out.

Thanks BnB

Well my machine has PCI Express and as I said I started with a 6600GT and it worked fine.

The only problem was I needed to stay at "Balanced" or "Improved" settings.

Now with the 8800GT I can run at "Best".

CAVEAT: All of the above is based on Windows XP Pro SP2. If you have Vista then good luck and may God have mercy on your soul.

For PCI-Express an Nvidia 7600GT would be a cost-effective option to match your CPU. A GeForce 7950GT would also be a decent purchase, but those are hard (impossible) to find and significantly more expensive.

The mention of the Radeon 9600 was only in regards to it being capable of running CMSF (which, by implication, suggests that the x800 should be capable too).

Thank you guys

Looking into 7600GT or 8800GT.

Gibsonm

Yes running XP , Sp 2

best gamming O.S. so far.

Schrullenhaft

The 9600 vid card was a AGP card

from my old system , My new MB is a super pci or (Express PCI) there for using a ATI X 800.

Which just won't work with The CMX 2 games,

so far as I can tell..

Not to worry , I have been playing Battle Front Games from day 1 . OK my original memmber forum # was around 600 .

anyway once I have my Vid card thing set right , I will be ready for all the new

Games.

Thanks Battle Front

And forum folks

BnB