ATI left click issue

Originally posted by Madmatt:

I assume your running with v1.04 correct? What about your version of the ATI drivers? Are you using the Catalyst 7.10's? If not, try those out and see if the accuracy isn't improved.

Madmatt

CMSF 1.04

imac, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro , win Xp32, Catalyst 7.11.

"left click" option on -> mouse was so unaccurate to a point the game was unplayble (and waypoint no selection!)

"left click" option off -> Various graphic problems and waiting some 3-4 secondes after clicking on a unit.

CMSF 1.04

OK My experiments:

"left click" option on ->CMSF unplayble .

"left click" option off -> CMFS playable, if all the options are "fastet" and "speed";That's because when click a unit (especially vehicles and sometimes soldiers) the program CMSF or Ati driver redesigns textures in the Game area.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately 1.05 will not solve this problem to my knowledge.

The only real solution to this problem is for ATI to fix their OpenGL drivers, which hasn't been one of their strengths in the past. I realize that there are other OpenGL games out there that ATI drivers will work with, but each game has a different 3D environment and different requirements for performing actions within it. CMSF's need to select items within its 3D coordinate space isn't a bizarre, wonky kludge of code that needs to be rewritten. ATI just needs to do a better job of working the pointer/mouse in a 3D coordinate space within OpenGL.

The ATI fix that is available is a last-ditch work-around that utilizes a different code path for the video driver than the normal selection process that is in place when this option is off. Unfortunately it is much less accurate (which was known at the time it was programmed) and seems unplayable at this point. This is slightly better than the crashing that the standard code path for selection was causing the ATI drivers earlier. If you remember, earlier ATI drivers would crash when selecting an unit. Now they no longer crash (the drivers), but they do take an inordinate amount of time to draw up the selection. Hopefully ATI will take notice of this and continue to improve their drivers.

I understand that this seems like some sort of "evasion of responsibility", but it is an issue of a video driver problem. The problem though is that this particular bug has a huge affect on game play whereas other, more commonly occurring video driver bugs may just result in something not getting drawn or textured properly. Those more common issues sometimes are just annoyances that have a limited affect on game play; other times they may cause large problems (elements unseen, blocked, etc.).

I don't know how quickly or how far along towards improving this particular code ATI is going to proceed on. ATI may consider this particular problem "fixed" though it performs horribly. Perhaps fixing this problem may cause loss of performance and hence may not get much more optimized than it is currently. Those are all guesses, but it may be quite awhile before this situation gets better (if ever) or the next video driver release could improve on it.

Originally posted by Berto:

CMSF 1.04

OK My experiments:

"left click" option on ->CMSF unplayble .

"left click" option off -> CMFS playable, if all the options are "fastet" and "speed";That's because when click a unit (especially vehicles and sometimes soldiers) the program CMSF or Ati driver redesigns textures in the Game area.

you need to notify ATI/AMD they will start looking for a driver issue with the game and fix it.

Good news for me, tanks Battlefront!!!

CMSF 1.05 paradox

"left click" option on -> mouse is now discreetly accurate, the game is playble (and waypoint selection!)

Oren_m test CMSF 1.05 with left click" option on, and post your impressions.