Stuck at Black Screen

Hi

Still cannot get past the black screen of doom.

Been about a month now and no solution.

I have tried just about everything but I wonder if my OpenGL drivers need updated. Not being terribly technical minded I have to ask if this is possible.

Seeing as CMSF is an OpenGL program it makes sense that the drivers are up to date?

Nvidia 8500GT SLI graphics cards, 4Gb Ram, dual core 3ghz CPU

This is at the launch of the game? For me, that has to do with setting AA/AF in the Nvidia control panel and is cosmetic only; clicking brings up the menu screen.

Maybe try setting the Triple Buffer option in your Nvidia control panel? I thought I saw someone mention that somewhere as a fix to the intro movie not showing up, maybe it would help your problem as well?

Fraid not, mate.

Its after the splash screen. I even took out the intro movie and still the same black screen forever where the main options screen should be.

At my wit's end with it now lol. I think I tried every setting available on the grafx card and even posted into the directory another preferences file from a seperate machine and changed the ingame screen resolution.

I followed all madmatt's advice to the letter and still no gameplay.

Edit: Sorry posted on wife's machine. Forgot it logs her in.

[ September 13, 2007, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Mishga ]

Heh, this would totally be easier to troubleshoot were I at the machine.

Do you get any sound when it starts up (with the intro movie in)? And I imagine you've got the latest NVIDIA drivers installed, but have you tried the Beta version? It's got a fix for Quake Wars, which is OpenGL as well, so maybe it would help you out...

Meach,

What version of the game do you have, downloaded or retail?

The first time I downloaded and installed I had the same problem. It turned out the 'Version100.brz' file was not being installed correctly. Check your CMSF data folder to see if all the brz files are there.

I had to download the game a second time, there was something wrong with the first download.

Which Windows OS are you running, Windows XP 32-bit or Vista 32-bit or possibly a 64-bit version ? Have you turned off the SLI option in the Nvidia Control Panel so that CMSF will use only one videocard ? Which specific driver do you have installed ?

Does Alt-Tab'ing out of the game and then re-maximizing it make any difference ? Are you running a single or dual-monitor setup ? If you're running on a dual-monitor setup which screen is the game appearing on (typically it should be the 'main / #1' screen) ?

If you're running a 32-bit version of Windows, have you tried temporarily removing about 2Gb of RAM to see how the system would react ? Have you patched your version of Windows with the latest patches, possibly including some 'optional' ones ?

Regarding the upgrading of the OpenGL drivers - those actually come as part of the video driver install. Each time you "upgrade your drivers" you're upgrading both the DirectX and OpenGL drivers (though there may only be so many changes in one or the other between versions). DirectX tends to get the lion's share of development time with the video GPU companies since most games utilize that API.

Do you have your CPU overclocked? I know that an old computer that I had would have problems if I overclocked the CPU but didn't "lock" the PCI bus to 33mhz.

There seem to be other games in which this (or similar happens), particularly in Neverwinter Nights (was looking for opengl 'windows xp' 'blank screen' and ended up there) with G80 based cards. It seems to be a driver problem, but it's hard to say if anything for that game will have any impact on CMSF. Here's the relevant thread: G80 cards and blank screens (Neverwinter Nights)

Yeah. I tried that. Various resolutions have been tried.

I can ALT-CNTRL-DEL out and it says that CMSF is running. I tried different resolutions thru changing the txt file.

I even used the settings on my wifes machine to create a preference file and used that.

I had a good nose about on the net and it seems that Nvidia have a few black screen problems with other games as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem on my machine!

I click the icon, the CMSF disc begins to spin up, the screen turns black and nothing......

I have a P4 2.4 Ghz with ATI 9600 and 1G of RAM

What's worse is that the game has previously worked on my machine. I was overrun with spyware and I reformatted rather than try to get Virus software to take care of it. The game appeared to install correctly and now this problem. I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times! What's the deal!?

Meach, you said your running two video cards in SLI mode, correct? Have you tried disabling one of the two cards? SLI mode doesnt work too well in CMSF.

SoCold, once you formated and reinstalled the game, were you prompted to enter your license key again? If not, then please follow the steps detailed here and see if they work:

http://www.battlefront.com/elicense_faq.html#nothingappears

Madmatt

Yes, Matt

I tried it with one Card and no effect. It seems that This type of card suffers this black screen effect in quite a few games.

I am not blaming BFC at all. I honestly feel it's a card issue but there has been no work-around or update from nvidia.

Meach, just wanted to let you know,

I had a similar problem, but I got no sound at startup, just a blank screen. I read in another post that someone had tried deleting(moving) the intro.wmv file from the CMSF folder. I tried this and now the game starts up just fine, and runs great. Maybe this will work with you!? Hopefully so...

E