Game freezing and LOW FPS what worked for me AMD 64bit dualcore 4200+ 7800GTX

Hi.

First I would like to say hello to the BF community. My real name is Jason and I work at Kromestudios as the lead Environment builder.

I'm amazed that you got something like this with only 5 people on the dev team " is it 5?" seems so low:P Also without a huge QA department I'm more then happy to help with the process.

Ok now for my fix.

Slow performance and crashes. the AMD fix and the hot fix seemed to make things worse. Setting the games affinity to 1 cpu worked, I'm getting 10 to 15 FPS more and it no longer crashes. So im happy to do this to get it to work. Its actually the easiest of the fixes. Maybe in a new patch you can disable the multiprocessor option and make people manually select it to enable it. Will prolly fix 50% of the problems i've seen in the forums. BTW systemshock 2 needs the same fix with new PCs:P

I last thing. In the 3rd training mission the one with the tanks and you have the 4 disabled strykers, my guy’s wont fire there jaevlins , i get close enough for them to use them. but they just fire there small arms at the tanks then scream in pain as they die. smile.gif Look forward to see if this helps anyone.

Thanks Jason! Always nice to have help figuring these things out!

Yes, we definitely need to do some work on the mult-processor issues on our end. Odd that those two fixes made things WORSE for you. So far it either helps or it doesn't, not make things get worse.

One thing we now have the time to do is work with Intel on fully supporting their Core Duo technology. We would like to do the same thing with AMD. This was simply not possible before due to time constraints and the need to move the code base to a new compiler. Never something you want to do towards the end of a release.

Funny enough though, most of our testers have dual processors and only one guy had intermitent troubles with one of his systems. We were blaming it on Vista 64 drivers since the other games he tried didn't run right either :D

If your guys had Javelins you would see them in the display next to the small arms (Team Info) part of the display. You need both the CLU (Command Launch Unit) and missiles. By default you have a few AT4s, but the range is somewhat limited.

Steve

One thing we now have the time to do is work with Intel on fully supporting their Core Duo technology. We would like to do the same thing with AMD. This was simply not possible before due to time constraints and the need to move the code base to a new compiler. Never something you want to do towards the end of a release.
Does that mean multicore support (i.e. Quad and following), or only dual-core?

Hi ickis, just wondering what you, or anyone else for that matter consider a decent FPS for the game. Most people (yourself included smile.gif ) just say they a a 5 FPS or whatever number increase in FPS but don't say actually how many FPS they are getting in-game.

Currently I'm getting 25-30 FPS with my AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ Dual Core Rig. It stays the same whether I use the 2 cores or disable one of them. I also have 2 NVidia 7800GT 256MB GPU's not configured in SLI as this was causing problems with selecting units, and I have 2 GB Ram.

Hi athkatla.

Im getting around 25 to 40+ fps depending on the map size and units. I'm using the The mission with the Airfield."I'm at work so can't look up the name" but the map is huge and there are around 10+ strykers, when the **** hits the fan it sits around 25 no probs.

Originally posted by ickis:

Hi athkatla.

Im getting around 25 to 40+ fps depending on the map size and units. I'm using the The mission with the Airfield."I'm at work so can't look up the name" but the map is huge and there are around 10+ strykers, when the **** hits the fan it sits around 25 no probs.

Ok ickis, thanks for that, I guess my FPS is about average then, which is fine and the game runs smoothly for me too.