CPU Perma-Spike

I have a Logitech G15 keyboard which includes an LCD display. It's a useful feature, I usually have it set to show me CPU and memory usage.

I have an Athlon 64 X2 4600+ and I'm running 32 bit XP (I'm not happy with the Windows 64 bit offerings at the moment). I have 2gb of RAM and a nVidia 8800GTS 640mb card. I'm in good shape regarding drivers and I have all power management disabled.

When I play the game, both cores of the CPU perma-spiked at 100% for the entire game (actually it begins right at the briefing screen and doesn't stop until I exit out to the initial game menu). I wouldn't have noticed this without the LCD keyboard or a CPU logging app running. I'm curious if everyone else is perma-spiked while playing?

The game is behaving OK for me, and I don't mean this to sound like a complaint, but in lieu of the many performance related threads I'm seeing I think it's a probably factor for many folks. I play a ton of high end FPS and RTS games, this never happens with other titles - usually my CPU sits at ~40% during other games. Something is up, I hope this info helps.

CM:SF is not yet optimized for Core Duo, so I think what you reported metalbrew doesn't sound unusual. That's just a guess.

We are starting the process of optimizing for Core Duo this week. We don't know how long it will take because Charles has to purchase a new computer and switch code compilers. Which is why we haven't done it until now :D

Steve

Originally posted by Redwolf:

Uh? Most games run full throttle CPU all the time. No matter how fast the CPU is.

Well, I play Battlefield 2, Counter Strike Source, Supreme Commander, UT2004, Company of Heroes, and the CMx1 games. None of those games cause 100% CPU utilization throughout the whole game. Even SolidWorks doesn't pin my CPU. My experience is that your statement is wrong.