Forests and Fortifications

Originally posted by Stoppelhopser:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Unfortunately, the sample TOW Max tank model - a Sherman - crashes Max to the desktop, so I don't know what is required to make a TOW model.

Too bad. Hopefully Sneaksie finds this thread and can help. Not many TOW owners have MAX (I can only afford the free Blender) I suspect and your work is lovely. </font>

BTW, In the TOW system all non-moveable 3-d objects are referred to as "statics". That can be anything from a single sandbag up to a building.

Anything created for TOW in MAX would have to conform to the limitations stated in the guide posted above and be submitted to 1C in MAX format so that it could be converted to be useable in the game itself.

uberGeezer: I did not know it is possible to work around with Gmax. That would let more people do models.

I have the Gmax that comes with MS CFS3 and FS2004. Haven't really looked into it yet as I try to learn Blender at the moment and am easily confused. Your nice screens look like Tunisia or Italy terrain.

Originally posted by Stoppelhopser:

uberGeezer: I did not know it is possible to work around with Gmax. That would let more people do models.

I have the Gmax that comes with MS CFS3 and FS2004. Haven't really looked into it yet as I try to learn Blender at the moment and am easily confused. Your nice screens look like Tunisia or Italy terrain.

Gmax is now supported again and can be found at Turbosquid: Turbosquid Gmax

Turbosquid has the newest edition of Gmax, plus tutorials and support. I have Blender but don't know anything about it.

RE: Screens - thanks. They are probably too complex for TOW "statics", but they show how rocks and sparse foliage don't have to look boring. I can send .3ds copies of the rock models to TOW modders who may want to experiment.

Originally posted by SlapHappy:

Also,,,I really like the gun pit! That is just what we need as a "static" in the game for the AT guns!

Now if we had something like that for the HMG's we would be well on our way......

I can make different versions of the gun pits - different sizes and shapes - and provide them to the TOW mod community as .3ds files. I have some other variants (someplace) that I will post later (when I can find them).

Originally posted by RockinHarry:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Narses:

Great thread on TOW's trenches. These COD type trenches might've been behind the beaches in Normandy or in Citadel but seldom any place else except maybe Sevastopol,Leningrad, Moscow. Too WW1 looking.

It would really be nice to have those trenches as depicted in "Men Against Tanks" as well. They are narrow, in part, to defend against tanks easily knocking them in I believe.

'RockinHarry' - I seem to remember you from Panzer Elite. I worked on the Ostpak mod helping with about 40 of their scenarios. Glad to come across you again.

Yes, did that infamous never publicly released B41 Panzer Elite mod, although Andy McGee adapted it to Ostpak I think anytime in the past. Re ToW forest, I would proceed as I tried in the B41 mod, with more realistic looking and behaving forest ground tiles.

What was you nick name over in Ostpak team? smile.gif </font>

Originally posted by Narses:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RockinHarry:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Narses:

Great thread on TOW's trenches. These COD type trenches might've been behind the beaches in Normandy or in Citadel but seldom any place else except maybe Sevastopol,Leningrad, Moscow. Too WW1 looking.

It would really be nice to have those trenches as depicted in "Men Against Tanks" as well. They are narrow, in part, to defend against tanks easily knocking them in I believe.

'RockinHarry' - I seem to remember you from Panzer Elite. I worked on the Ostpak mod helping with about 40 of their scenarios. Glad to come across you again.

Yes, did that infamous never publicly released B41 Panzer Elite mod, although Andy McGee adapted it to Ostpak I think anytime in the past. Re ToW forest, I would proceed as I tried in the B41 mod, with more realistic looking and behaving forest ground tiles.

What was you nick name over in Ostpak team? smile.gif </font>

Yes, BobR is active. As a matter of fact he is up to 60 Ostpak scenarios now and works with Aldo in merging, if I have this right, Ostpak and Brit44. I still assist as requested by him on historical research. We are in touch with him on TOW, TvsT and SF.