How to make a tank give up

There is sort of a flaw to exploit here. I played St Lo as allies and had all my tanks creamed right off the bat. But still had plenty of crews and squads milling about.

2 Jagtigers came barrelling across the map towards my infants. I swarmed each tank with 2 or 3 squads. Each soldier threw every grenade, then fired weapons, a couple zook guys launched what they had. The Jagdtigers lost a skirt but suffered no damage. Instead of taking off, or running over my guys the tank icon simply went grey. Yet no crew jumped out? I sent my remnant tank crews into the tiger, No Damage, none. I was back in the game.

Not sure what happened but I now throw squads at tanks and keep my dismounted tankers handy to jump in. This works every time.

Incapacitated crew. I've had it happen with my own crew members. The crew icons go transparent and after a few moments disappear. I assume it means they are unconscious, dead or otherwise completely incapacitated.

But I've never had it happen under the circumstances you describe with the units mentioned. Jagdtiger, really?

Nah this is so repeatable I can do it even with one squad. As below this squad lobbed 3 zooks, 2 of which missed, the closest guys threw about 3 or 4 nads, the rest of the guys just plinked away with bullets. The trick is the panther rushed forward, then stopped just short of the squad to fire with coax, sure I lost 2 guys but it never recovers from the barrage of small arms, nads, zooks, which is really just chicken scheiser.

captur2by5.jpg

Below I ran a specially selected remnant tank team to mount the panther. The gunner imediatley traversed the turret to engage targets while the driver, last to show up is climbing in. No structural damage. Neutron grenades :D

captur1qw1.jpg

Edited to lower res pictures because imageshack (imagecrap) is an overloaded host

[ June 03, 2007, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Nikki Mond ]

Originally posted by SlapHappy:

Nikki

Can you duplicate the results without the bazooka rounds?

No a bazooka is always part of the equation. So that seems realistic. But there is a long period of time from the bazooka hit to the tank giving up the ghost. That kind of threw me off.

I'm going to recreate this without using other weapons except a bazooka.

Actually, I think you can have the same results, just by surrounding the lone tank, and firing it with everything you got. I once captured the tank just by getting 2 squads (as well as some leftovers!) and though they weren't armed with any heavy weapons, just rifles, Machine guns, pistols. I just told the men to go behind it. And FIRE!!!!! the tanks's turret was jammed, so after 5 minuten the tank turned grey...

Must say, I heard from another post that an American Tank was shot to peices in Afrika by infantry in the same circumstances, must be some conincedence?

hehe, when you can mash a hand granade in the time the fuse is going through a vision port you get an apple form me ;)

and hatches are locked.

would be prolly careless by a crew to drive around with open hatches when inf is around.

oh and i tried it a few times myself with the fausts...probably a bit much that all crew members are dead on spot after one hit. could be some different outcomes too. maybe just 2 dead or so!? :D

A tank can handle a lot of small arms fire.

I remember a story (it's on the WWII online boards, of a real Tiger Ace who fighted in NA).

They captured a sherman, and just for the fun of it's, they fired at it with a 20mm quad gun. (with some crew members inside).

They fired at it a the sides, and besides some shot up wheels and stowage, not much damage was done. The only thing scary was the banging of the 20mm rounds against the hull.... (those guys seems to have done strange stuff)

We used an old Sherman on an anti-tank range in the army (in Germany). We used it to practice firing the 84mm Carl Gustav (practice rounds) at a moving target. We used small arms too as it drove towards us .

We then used to take turns sitting in it while it drove at the next section, you could hear the plink of 7.62 hitting it and the Thunk of the 84mm practice rounds.

I'm sure they must have filled in the majority of the vision periscopes though I don't recall exactly.

[ June 04, 2007, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Fifty Cal' ]