Operation Citadel

I've been playing a new German campaign on the hardest setting lately. Was playing Operation Citadel scenario last night.

Changed the starting Pz III out for another Stug tank destroyer to make initial lineup of 2 Tigers, 3 Pz IVs and 2 tank destroyers. The initial phase of this battle revolves around stopping a large Russian armoured force from breaking through.

I placed my 3 Pz IVs in the centre and a tiger and a tank destroyer on each wing. The fight went very well indeed. I destroyed the entire Russian push while losing only one Pz IV. The tigers took all sort of punishment unscathed.

One thing I was trying out was using the targeting selection on the attack button. The tigers I selected aim at centre. The Pz IVs and tank destroyers I selected aim at top. Each time I knocked out a tank turret I would change targets. At one point I had 6 Russian tanks running around with disabled turrets smile.gif

During the advance to take the train station I lost my 2 tank destroyers. None of my tigers were knocked out. The only problem was a shortage of infantry.

Something strange happen a couple times. I would have my tank or tank destroyer highlighted. An enemy tanks icon in front of me would be highlighted saying it was visible to me. I would target the tank but my unit would not fire...

In one situation a tiger and a tank destroyer could "see" the T34/43. Both had side shots at short range and I ordered them to fire. They both just sat there. The T34 rotated its turret and destroyed the tank destoyer with one frontal shot :eek: It seemed messed up. I even had time to click off the target specific location and just attack target but still the tanks would not fire.

The scenario ended with a nice win so it was all good but just wondering if others had seen this sort of thing happening.

Yes I have seen tanks seem to refuse a fire order several times in an allied mission where some Brits were to hold off a German attempt to break through to escape. They had lots of ammo and no damge when it happened and a clear LOS at abbout 25 to 30 meters range on the rear and flanks of Tiger I's A Cromwell refused the order and the Churchill did too. Both were very close to the bad guy and I have no idea why they just sat there.

This is a known issue Rapier and you will be happy to know it is slated to be fixed in a patch. What happens is that the turret / upper superstructure of the vehicle is visible while the main/lower body is not. The AI defaults to aim for the lower/main body, and will return a "No LOF" if this is not visible. You can manually fix this by telling it to aim high. A patch is going to make the AI smarter about choosing visible portions.

OTOH, I too have noticed that vehicles and infantry act wierd when engaging at close ranges. I think part of the problem may stem from the fact their reactions to threats doesn't seem to be impacted at all by the range of that threat, so a unit seems to act the same to an emeny 5 meters away as it would to one 500 meters away. At least their reaction speeds and sense of urgency sure dont change.

Thanks Guys smile.gif I'm hoping the patch will help with my game's stability as well. I've turned off shadows / EAX sound and increased pagefile to 3000. That has helped so that game is playable now but occasional freezes are still a nuisance.

ah yes, thanks for that normal.

I've found it quite a nuisance that there is no autotargetting feature if the default target point is outside LOF.

Usually no messages either or they're just lost in the hail of information raining down upon you in the heat of the battle.

And one other thing, sometimes my entire infantry squads (even on hold fire) will all report a "no line of fire" when there is nothing in their LOS and the closest enemy is seen by a scout about a km away.

If I remember correctly I think it has to do with one of the scouts being under fire.

Operation Citidel has been my most exiting battle to date. It took me appx. 2 hours to complete & I made multiple saves, so that I would get to the battles end w/ most all of my tanks. Countless times I was overun and lost most of my armour. Thanks to the "save" I just started again and devised a better strategy.

My strategy, w/ turned out to be quite effective, was to keep my engagements close( 500M or so ). I also used the terrain and engaged 1 ( in rare instances 2) target(s) at a time w/ as many tanks as possible. This took some patience and planning.

Sometimes I would run a tank across an enemies path to draw there turrent away from my main attack direction.

This worked fantastically well, as the enemy gunners were not able to hit my moving decoy, & I was able to pound them with my main assault from a staionary point, since they would be pointing there gun away form me.

1 by one I destroyed 30 enemy tanks and tank destroyers.

So with just the town & its 75mm cannons left; I snuck down the eastern side of the map using the terrain for concealment. You can get very close to the eastern trenches this way.

I took out the 1st two guns w/ ease using 2 tigers & a PzIV. Then I ran my infantry up to the estenmost trench and captured 1 cannon ( the other was blow up in my assault). Working west over the trenches w/ 6 tanks it was a slaughter.

The battle ended w/ 30 enemy armour destroyed, I captured 2 cannons, 1 destroyer and 1 T34.

• 3 weeks later...

This mission for me was the easiest to date. Even if the enemy engaged with 32 tanks, and the first assault was about 21 tanks (T-34,Su122) it was easy to destroy them. I played on veteran level and finished it in first try without tanks losses (lost 7 inf.). I selected all Tigers I could get into the mission, and queip. them with elite crew, by that time I had gunners to 100%. Place the tiger at the top starting area and waited for enemy to attack (in TOW enemy always counter attacks, never failed me smile.gif ). I must say it was a turkey shot, 1 shot 1 kill/immm. My 2 or 3 tigers knocked out 21 tanks (T-34 mod43 and su122). I remember some post while back about this being russion dev. and it is favoring own/russian quiepment, this is NOT the case, tiger with the elite crew are unstoppable, while playing the mission I was thinking that there is something missing in the mission, some voice, i was thinking like "ultra kill!" after each kill.

br.

Dr.Jones

This is a known issue Rapier and you will be happy to know it is slated to be fixed in a patch. What happens is that the turret / upper superstructure of the vehicle is visible while the main/lower body is not. The AI defaults to aim for the lower/main body, and will return a "No LOF" if this is not visible. You can manually fix this by telling it to aim high. A patch is going to make the AI smarter about choosing visible portions.
i dont see any issue here. when a tank doesnt shoot on another tank you can about 99% of times tell why you cant shoot.

pretty simple, when you didnt selected the "turret/superstructure" checkbox your not pretty whise in the first place. when they dont shoot after this was done AND they have clear los/lof for sure you allmost allways not able to elevate or depress the gun to the target.

it often happens to the hilltopcampers :D

i like that too with something with good frontal armor but you have to be carefull about this fact.

well, thats it, the other 1% is that you can see turret copola or turret roof but thats about not enough to shoot on it. this can also happen when your "hull down" position is in fact a "hull and lower turret down" position. than cou can spot over the crest but simply dont shoot, no matter how good you SEE the enemy.

EDIT:

important, now imagine such an position. and now imagine someone shooting from 1Km at you. projectile comes a bit from above and "can" hit you while you cant shoot out of your position.

lets do the check from the other side. had you ever 2 tanks in flat und obscured terrain wich where able to see each other NOT fire at each other, even after you told one of them!? i mean i never had a tank refusing fireing command like some ppl here report. when they refuse they cant shoot out of some reason.

btw. funny thing is i allready had tanks shooting on tanks they didnt saw(transparent unit icon, ovcourse all shots missed)and saw a tank fireing by itelf somewhere into the nature with no single enemy unit icon present. it just shoot into the blue :D

that needs more fixing

[ June 06, 2007, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: Pandur ]