Widescreen despair... can anyone help?

I recently purchased a 19" widescreen TFT monitor which runs at a screen res of 1440x900. My other 3d games (particularly Rome: Total War) look stunning, but the jewel in the crown, ie: the CM series, look rubbish - with badly anti-aliased text and graphics slightly out of focus.

I've trashed the preferences and tried each of the available screen settings offered by each of the CM games, to no avail. It's almost like the available resolutions are too 'square'.

Can anyone help me resolve this, or recommend a solution that doesn't involve me reverting to my old CRT monitor?

Thanks in advance for any responses...

CM1 is hardcoded to max out with 1600 horizontal and 1200 vertical, whatever is lower. A shame really.

What you need to do is set your display to 1280x900 in Windows, then nuke the preferences, then start CM. Maybe it recognizes it, otherwise try 1280x768.

CM does support widescreen and correctly scales the pictures.

Of course, when you set you display to 1280x900 you need to tell it not to scale, you need black bars left and right.

I run CM at 1600x1200 and its fine. That's bigger than 1440x990, by far.

I'm running it on a 1920x1200 screen: it "postboxes" (IE the extra width is just black). I had to set this up properly: I told my display adapter to use "centered output" instead of "display scaling" or "fixed ratio scaling". It means "display the application in the resolution it wants to be displayed in".

It works fine: maybe that's the setting you need.

Gaj

Thanks for the replies chaps. It's not the size that is the problem, it's the proportions of the screen. I've been trying to get it to 'postbox', but it just keeps scaling to the full width. I can't seem to find a setting that will allow me to centre the screen output instead of scaling. Any ideas as to where this might be?

Originally posted by Panzertwat (FGM):

Thanks for the replies chaps. It's not the size that is the problem, it's the proportions of the screen. I've been trying to get it to 'postbox', but it just keeps scaling to the full width. I can't seem to find a setting that will allow me to centre the screen output instead of scaling. Any ideas as to where this might be?

When asking such a question you should really tell us what kind of graphics card you have.

And how you connect the display (DVI or VGA).