Multplayer lobby crashing

I crash a lot in the multiplayer lobby, I get different errors though, each time a runtime error on tow.exe

I wrote down the most recent one, it is: Runtime Error #3(trap)

The other crash was a different runtime error but it's always in the chat lobby with others talking and I am not doing anything, just waiting for the game to start.

Running uber patch no mods, XP 4600+ dual core, 2gigs ram, win XP pro SP2, ATI X1950pro 512megs.

I had same problems and other before. However managed to fix all of them with help from some others.

I witnessed 3 serious bugs:

- Runtime error #3(trap)

- Lobby freeze

- Soldier movement not visible for owner (lagging), others see them moving though.

A list of fixes, dont know exactly which one is working for what:

- get Apple Quicktime update (for runtime error?)

- disable EAX (for lobby freeze?)

- diable music (for lobby freeze?)

- lower client internet speed to 25.000 - 50.000 (soldiers not moving)

- server internet speed 50.000 (?)

- hide dead bodies (?)

- disable high sky detail (?)

- disable MP smooth movement (?)

After making all above settings, I was able to play ~ 10-15 games in a row with others, without (me) having any probs smile.gif

Might be possible to tweak a lil bit and turn some of them one. Perhaps we can get some confirmations from Sneaksie and or Madmatt about these issues.

We had a splendid time ;)

Thanks to Jmayer (i think) for helpin out!

GL

Originally posted by Lethaface:

- Soldier movement not visible for owner (lagging), others see them moving though.

- server internet speed 50.000 (?)

i had the same problem on my vista 64 ultimate pc with not seeing my soldiers moving on Mush's server.

after a while of fiddling around on my end without success we found out that setting the server speed on Mush's end to 25.000 did the job. i could even again set all my settings to high and it worked perfectly.

thx for all your help Mush, great fun!

himmelstoss

Sneaksie quicktime update Does solve error issue, ( in the error it says see Vender about this issue ). The Server speed set to 25,000 does allow men to be seen moving by those that can't see them move. We have gone over these issues and found this to work. Lowering the Video settings and turning off EAX and Music helps alot with lag and crashing probs also.

I hope these things help more to play the game I will be waiting for you all to show up. See you on the BattleFront...

This just out Lads...

Be sure to use the Windows Updater to see just what Important things need to be updated. I just found that Net.2.0 has an update and under the Custom Search it has Net.3.0 ( I just updated my Net.2.0 optted out of the 3.0 because for me Net.2.0 works well.)

There is also an update on the updater which unless you have it may not let you do automatic updates and that is why you haven't recieved any new updates.

So be sure to update your windows today...

Done all the fixes besides .net 2.0, I tried running the 2.0 dotnetfx.exe from microsoft, says I already have it, but I did not do custom search thing yet.

Still crashing in lobby and loading, and in game as well with runtime (trap) error. My vista business machine crashes less then XP, but still crashes, with the same error.

Next up, the .net update, will try that and after some runs post results.

Crazy, does the game itself ever crash while your playing or is it just then lobby?

Do you run any firewall or proxy software? If so, try and disable them to see if that makes any difference. I have seen where in some cases a firewall package likes to popup a message about a game when it tries to open a port, those types of pop-ups can trigger application crashes so I am wondering if maybe thats what your seeing.

Madmatt

• 1 month later...

Crazy, at what point when you go into the lobby does it crash? Immediately when you click the INTERNET button or when you try and connect to a listed server?

Does it also crash when you go into DIRECT-IP and manually type in the IP address and port of a hosted server? To use the DIRECT-IP method you will have to contact the host player manually to get his IP address.

Madmatt

It crashes very nearly immediatly after it goes on the lobby screen. I have discovered that if i keep clicking where the "back" button is then it will go back and saves my computer from crashing. So immediatly at the lobby NOT when i am connecting to a server.

And no i have played with Mushhead a lot as i know his ip address and he tells me when one is up and the games usually are ok to the point of what can be expected.

Its the lobby not the actual MP game.

Originally posted by crazyman56:

I don't know he hasn't been on msn for ages. the last time a talked to him he said he was fed up with ToW so i don't know.

oh boy...and Mush was always the biggest TOW fan around.

if even he gave up on it than this game is for shissle down the shissler!

shame on you developer guys! buhuhhuuh!!!

himmel

Crazy,

the next time you get a crash please do me a favor and zip up the log.lst file (and any other error log file you might see in the games directory) and email them to me at support@battlefront.com.

Also, please try and reinstall your copy of .Net Framework 2.0 and be sure and apply all of the latest service packs for it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

ToW only uses .Net 2.0 so you don't need to install .Net 3.0 (although they can both be installed at the same time).

Lastly, go ahead and update your install of java on your computer. You can grab that here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Now try and see if the lobby continues to crash.

Madmatt