Supported Video Cards

All

If this sounds patronising, I apologize now it’s not meant that way

Like any thing

High performance engine + poor balanced chassis + poor tyres

The car won’t go anywhere.

Like PC’s if you’ve got a high end CPU + medium graphics card and little ram the game won’t run

It’s a balance I’ve got an old XP3000+ married up to an ATI XT9600 Asus a7n8x-e_deluxe2. With 2g DDR400 ram running two Sata HD 320 each.

This system is outdated now but the system uses to the full the most important hardware kit you have The Motherboard,

Many new systems are built to a budget the usual thing to cut costs is the MB

I’ve seen top end cards in some useless MB The bottleneck between the CPU and the system buses is not fit for purpose

Yes I know we all 1st turn to the graphics card if something doesn’t run, but most of the time it’s an issue else where Drivers is a good starting point, ram is the best and cheapest way to speed a system up Use the slots to the full i.e. if your MB supports it mine has two slots with 2g avoid putting 512 in a slot use it to the full.

Check your bios settings i.e. that your FSB is correct, can it be over clocked my MB is an excellent MB for this,

Memory settings read the spec to get the best out of them

Cooling clear any obstructions away from your system add some more fans,

I’ve got heat sinks on my ram and graphics card as well as a fan

Doesn’t mean because you’ve got old hardware it won’t run its how it’s set up!!!

Yes I know I’ll have to change this system, but to be honest it does everything I want it to do, I was going to add a ATIx1950 and replace the XT9600, that’s why I’m watching this post

TOW runs fine for me 20 to 30 fps normal view 10 to 15 eye level view, I spend my time writing mission for 1941 42 I like that period no tigers going around blowing things up You try and nock out a KV with a PZ3J it takes some working out

Oh yes the OS that’s another story

The game does run so don’t give up

Good gaming

can i just ask the Battlefront guys....what is the point?.....people who are having probs trying to get the game to run are being told to turn this off and that off,,,one of the good things well the best IMO..is the graphics !!!.....if we have to turn everything off to get it to run or run at a decent frame rate..we might as well play the awesome CMBB or one of the other CM games!..which i think a lot of people will agree are better games.as far as variety etc is concerned at least !and seem to run very stable on any machine..im not knocking you guys,,but it really does seem we have a very poor game engine here..and a lot of this stuff should have been picked up and addressed in beta phase...hopefully a patc will addres ALL these problems and allow all the people who have bought this game to run it as it should be run!..it runs brilliantly on my xp drive but no chance of getting it to start on MY vista DRIVE,,tried everything ..good luck with the patch !!..and looking forward to CMC

Hi

I'm having a really bad experience with TOW... When action starts I hardly can mouve the camera or select units (single battle: tank Battle).

I have a PC that runs really fine COD3, AOE3, ArmA.

It's a Intel P4, 3,8Ghz, 2 G DDR Ram, Nvidia 7900 GS (drivers 93.71)...

With a res of 1024x786, and video optios set up to low I cant play TOW

Missions last a life in loading...

I cant understand...

Peri, you might try rolling back to the drivers you were using before 93.71.

I was using 93.71 also ..last night I uninstalled them and installed 91.47 ..I have not had a freeze or CTD yet ..FPS are better but still slows down when the action gets hot and heavy.

Regards,

Guns

Originally posted by dmg:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

Specs: Intel 2.80 GHz

What type of Intel CPU do you have in particular? Dual core, Pentium D, Pentium 4 or anything else? If it is a multicore cpu, did you try set / reset option "Use only one CPU" in towsetup.exe?

Also, if option "Use only one CPU" does not help you and your cpu is multicore, please check SIO's advices at http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=66;t=000143 and tell weather it helps you or not.

Runs Medieval 2 Total War pretty smoothly at full bore, but not TOW.

I'm not acquainted with this game. Does it use OpenGL or Direct3D? The fact is ToW uses OpenGL (Direct3D is used by MissionEditor only). So to get to know if there is any video drivers issue that affect the performance, it must be compared to OpenGL-engine games (e.g. Doom3).

A video driver might be optimized for Direct3D but not support OpenGL at all (or support it with great performance issues) and vice-versa. </font>

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten the program to work with an NVidia GeForce FX 5200.

I am having a problem with the American campaign. On the first mission the game quits just as I am about to win. This happened on a Dell XPS 710 with NVidia GTX 8800 and an HP Pavilion with the above mentioned GeForce card.

I am not sure if it is a bug in the scenario/campaign or a problem with a setting. The game play up to the end is fantastic though. Its just a bit frustrating not being able to progress further.

CorpCommander Hi Your doing really well to make a FX5200 run TOW, These cards are prone to over heat, In fact all FX (Nvidia) cards suffer from this, when there 1st came out I had to return 6 after approx 3 months for dieing My customers changed to the version that had the cooling fan on them. MSI was a better version than most,

Most people I visit with a game CTD that isn’t the games fault is usually lack of cooling. cool air in the case, TOW isn't a modern game engine or like a top FPS, but it’s only a slight suspicion (feeling) that maybe when the action gets hot i.e. more units come into play the graphics card maybe getting a touch hot, if anyone has a LCD temp in their system maybe there could watch the temp on both the card and cpu to see if it’s getting to hot,

Most Intel CPU's start to suffer performance around the 60 c mark, that’s my finding so it’s no way an official finding, since you can have a top end system GR8 cooling and run well below 40c, my own system is between 30 - 40c.

My own card is a 2year old XT9600 256ram run’s the game very well 25 – 30 FPS and 10 – 15 FPS close up i.e eye level really close up.

I had some early CTD and yes I went down the disable graphic options and Antivirus programs and yes it worked, then I noticed my graphics fan was right mucked up with crap, in fact stripped them out give them a good clean and I’m running back on full options with shadows set on object.

Still disable all background services that I don’t need.

The game Devs and battlefront tecs say they’ve found some issue with the Duel core and amd64’s which maybe fixed in the patch, but we all have a responsibility to ensure our systems are running well.

Good gaming

• 4 weeks later...

I got TOW as a fathers day present. I get the inverted screen and editing the ww.ini file does nothing. My monitor is Plug & Play on Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family. Not being real PC savy, does this mean I'm screwed or can I do anything? Any help appreciated!

Originally posted by frontkampfer:

Screwed! Kind of thought so. Tanks for getting back to me but I'm not going to throw good money after bad or vice versa. Anyone what this game? It thier's for $35US plus shipping!

With this graphics card, you are seriously restricted with any 3d game. So by throwing +50%, this is not so bad.

br.

Dr.Jones

• 2 months later...

Hi

Built a new system for myself,

AMD2 4600

EVGA SLI590 m/B

Nivida 8800gts superclocked EVGA 640mb graphics

640gb in 4 raid set up HD space

2gb of OZ superfast ram

game runs Gr8

only slight bug is that the camera moves when you don't want it too ie it likes to wander,

has abody had this,

is it a simple change in options too fix

Good gaming

game runs Gr8

only slight bug is that the camera moves when you don't want it too ie it likes to wander,

has abody had this,

is it a simple change in options too fix

Try to install the following patches

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/amdcpusetup.exe

They should eliminate the problems with the mouse cursor and the performance issues. The camera might uncontrolledly move because of the bug with the mouse cursor that is at the border of the screen.

Hi

thks for quick reply, I'm away until monday so we try to install patches, although did a quick try today,but links where timing out,

on performace I have none the game runs smooth no CTD ,just the mouse issue.

Good Gaming

• 3 weeks later...

A.J.M

Before my build i used a Ati xt9600 and X800xt both ran the game at 25 to 30 fps with very few CTD, so your card should be ok,

just remember the graphics card is only one item which may let you down.

I've noticed running vista with my new build that it tells you how well the system will run programs,my new system comes at top a rating of 5.9,

I try to run TOW on a mates new system which only gave a rating of 2.3, and it didn't run at all.

well.

so other things do make a difference.

Good Gaming

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello, I have read this entire post and Im still wondering what the heck. CMBB, and CMAK runs so good on my machine, plus I have GTR2, Medieval Total War II, IL-Sturmovik, they all run great.

I have a Pentium 3ghz machine 1 Gig of ram, and a Nvidia 6800 card. I did what they said and turned off certain things, got the latest Nvidia drivers. I can play the game for about an hour, then it locks up.. I have to unplug the bloody machine. can anyone tell me what else to do, I highly doubt its the graphics card. I know the machine is not 2008 specs but jeeesh! any help would be cool.

thanks