Unlicensing - Admin Priv Issue

I'll post here my email that I sent to tech support in case others have this issue:

Just d/l TOW (pre-order), everything went fine. I'm doing a reformat of my HD, and I understand you need admin privileges, which I had up until I did the latest Windows updates.

The .NET framework install adds an ASP.NET user as admin and for some reason took away my admin, even though I'm logged on under my username and it shows that I have admin priv. It won't allow me to edit under msconfig now, and it also doesn't show any elicense folder in my control panel. It's holding up my reformat as I don't want to take the game off without unlicensing. A google search of this ASP.NET issue acknowledged the issue, but doesn't give a fix for it! I didn't realize to unlicense you had to go through admin until after I had already installed and played the game. What can I do??

Alan Leader

Are you sure? I'm alittle paranoid about this process because the FAQ seems to suggest that uninstalling without unlicensing could cost me one of my two installs. I'm upgrading my system and waiting for the parts to arrive. I'll need to make this work shortly but I also do not have the elicense control panel and I've worked through all the suggestions in the FAQ. A little frustrated.

If you uninstall and do not unlicense, and then reinstall on the same computer without making big hardware changes, then the license will remain active. So after reinstalling the game will simply launch normally without asking for a license.

For some people the eLicense Control center does not show up. That's a known problem, and one that will be fixed soon hopefully. That problem is not TOW related but affects all eLicense protected games.

As I explained the aleader, the .NET 2.0 package is standard Microsoft stuff so I cannot really help there, but for unlicensing, there is a simple manual process which does not require the eLicense Control Center. It should be explained in the FAQ actually, but here is a summary:

- Create a shortcut to the tow.exe

- Right-click the shortcut and open properties

- in the "target" line you will find the path to the tow.eye, such as e.g.:

C:\programs\battlefront\theatre of war\tow.exe

(this may of course vary to wherever you installed the game)

- change this to look like so:

"C:\programs\battlefront\theatre of war\tow.exe" -unicense

(notice the " and where they are - they do not include the entire link, just the path

- save changes and then launch the shortcut by double-click

- the unlicense window will now come up.

Martin

Excellent! Thanks so much. I am planning big changes (I like the game that much) and will need a reformat. I did see the option you outline in the FAQ but I didn't try it for fear of unlicensing at the moment I executed. Now I see the error in my ways.