Printing the CMAK Manual

This may depend on your HP printer model, driver version, etc. I don't have exact instructions for you, but hopefully you can find it. If you want more specific information, tell me the model of your HP printer, the OS (Windows version) and the driver version (if you can find it among the control panel tabs).

Go to your Printers control panel (whichever way you get there). Right-click on your printer icon and select Properties. In here one of the tabs will probably have settings that affect the color printing options for the printer. In the past some of the HP printer drivers allowed you to set the ability to print in color or b&w/grayscale (for all print jobs). I'm not sure if current drivers support this capability anymore.

I have an HP 1000. Select "Properties" and select the "Advanced" tab. At the top their is a check box for Grey Scale. It defaults to High Quality so make sure you select "Black Only", otherwise the printer will use the coloured inks as well to give you a black and white image thus defeating your purpose.

No. But I am presuming that the implementation for modifying print properties cannot have changed all that much between the 1000 and the 1200. And certainly the ability to print in black only should be available somewhere. Unless of course an HP programmer "forgot" to include this ability for the 1200. On the other hand, with the insane profit margins to be made on colour inkjet inks ... ;):D

Some other thoughts (some painfully obvious so bear with me)

- Anything about this in any of yoiur printer's documentation? (paper or electronic)

- Does your printer come with a utility program (mine is found under the Properties/Services tab). Maybe they hid the Black Only feature there???

- Check HP website for FAQs and the like regarding your printer.

- Call HP Technical Support and ask

- Buy CMBB which comes with a printed manual that is more or less identical to CMAKs as far as I can tell (with perhaps a few pages here and there devoted to differences in theatres, dust clouds, multi-turretted tanks, etc.). Could be cheaper than cost of ink/paper to print out the CMAK manual :D

I'm not seeing anything in the documentation or online that indicates that the Deskjet 1000 has the ability to print in 'black only'. This is/was a feature for some of the printer drivers in Deskjet line. The closest I could find in HP's online data is that there is a way to print lines in black instead of grey within AutoCAD (grey is a mix of colors rather than a modulated black when it comes to Deskjets). However this setting is within AutoCAD itself and thus has no bearing on any other program.

The only other option I can think of is time consuming and annoying. It would require you to have a good graphics editing program, quite a bit of disk space and a lot of patience. You would need to print the pages (individually) from Acrobat to a file as graphic images. Then you would have to take this image into a graphics editing program and convert it to black and white (which may not come out very well for some images). Greyscale may save a little on ink and look a bit better than straight black-only, but it will still use color ink to reproduce grey. Once you've converted your image you can then print it. Obviously for most people this is inconvenient and far too time consuming.