Addon or TOW2 in progress?

sossen

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Moon:

SlapHappy... Battlefront has assisted 1C in finalizing the game ...

...BTW, more on topic - we should have some firm news regarding this TOW2/add-on soon. I'm hoping this month still. Stay tuned smile.gif

Martin

This is now June. Can we expect some news?

• 1 month later...

Hmmmm...while I think it's great that 1C is improving their base engine with another game that promises better troop control and AI (and I will certainly consider buying it); wouldn't it be even nicer if they gave us a patch for the current TOW that implements the new AI and infantry stuff from the new game? I mean, that way at least I could enjoy playing the current TOW (which is now off my hard drive) because I got tired of fighting with the current (in my opinion) poor AI. I'm not talking about new models and maps from their upcoming game, just the AI and infantry improvements patchable into the current TOW.

BFC builds value into their products this way. For instance, whether or not you choose to fork out the $25.00 for the new Marine module which is coming shortly, you still get all the other game improvements with the next version 1.1. And this coming from a company (BFC) that says they will no longer "give away the kitchen sink" like they did with titles like Combat Mission :Barbarossa to Berlin which covered the whole Eastern Front. They still understand they need to get their current offering up to snuff as much as they possibly can.

To be fair, 1C put their post-development time mostly into the things that people were carping about: "Where's the quick-mission builder?" "We need a map editor!". Most of the comments about AI and troop control got drown out in all this din. So they gave them to us. Now we have quick missions and map editing so we can create new content with poor AI and the same control issues as when the game came out. I certainly liked those additions, but I would have much rather dispensed with them until later to have the AI stuff fixed. Also, a limited visibility model for tanks to even up the battlefield. These items probably would have been just as, if not less time intensive to address. Instead we have to get them in a new game installment (for extra dollars of course).

Lots of people had "helpful suggestions" for BFC regarding ongoing improvements for CM:SF. Instead of simply kow-towing to the squeaky wheels, they pulled the best out of the suggestions and dispensed with the rest when they knew it didn't fit in with the overall concept and direction they had for the game. Turns out they were right. Now the game is quite the joy to play even with just infantry and a few armor assets. It just feels right. And their still improving the model. Yes there are still issues, but they've long since convinced me they know exactly what they are doing.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps 1C wanted to go with more of a small scale RTS style game rather than a tactical simulation which is more of what CM:SF is. CM:SF made certain compromises which increased the potential scale of the game at the handicap of the more total control you have in TOW. But was it really a trade-off? Sure, you can control individual soldiers in TOW vs. CM:SF, which is nice.....But exactly how do you effectively do that in a real-time game? There is no overall control mechanism to make that level of control viable. And if the TAC AI is lacking, it all goes up in a puff of smoke anyway. There are no tools at your disposal to make that individual soldier control actually work to your advantage. In fact, the design concept 1C chose seems more appropriate for a turn-based game rather than real-time. Being able to meticulously plot troop movement strategies within a squad seems like a perfect match for a WEGO system.

All that said, the BFC - 1C partnership is a great thing for wargamers. In fact, with the exception of a couple other outfits like Matrix and such, it might be the only game in town.

In my opinion, the real problem CMSF is that of management infantry.the micro-management unit, in a tactical game, is essential even if this may lead to an overload of "work" for the player.In my opinion, the method of management of infantry TOW, is excellent.

If you could introduce it in CMSF, it would be absolutely perfect. (In addition of course to animations and special effects!)

Hello