Map Editor

Egon

I am into ToW now for a few days and I think it is a great game with huge potential. Congrats !

What I am missing though is the option to edit individual maps so I can generate historical scenarios. I have enjoyed that a lot since the early days, when I was battling my local highschool buddies in hotseat games playing "Kampfgruppe" on a VC 64.

.. so - let´s talk about maps.

[ November 01, 2007, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: Egon ]

To my knowledge the available map editor has only the potential to change objects on already existing maps (e.g. field fortifications, trees...). To actually change maps or build new ones is not possible (e.g. change elevation, rivers...).

Hopefully it will be implemented at one point.

Uwe

I think Reichenberg is right, but didn´t Sneaksie post somewhere that a "full" map editor would be available later this year (included in the next patch or the add on).

I wonder if there is currently any method to create a new map (e.g. using a 3D modelling tool and Photoshop), but I guess all the map info is still hidden in the depths of the prog, so we can´t get to them.

Greetings - Egon

Thx for the info Slap.

Next question is, wether it´s possible then to create larger maps.

I feel not that comfortable with the actual 2x2km grid, because it gives a nice tactical sim a touch of a shooter (c`mon, think of the effective fire range for a Tiger, Panther etc.)

I definitely would trade in some map detail for room to manoeuvre. Imagine a 12x12km grid like in ancient "Kampfgruppe" - esp. multiplayer games could be very exciting that way.

Maps that make you think more about fire fronts than movement plans limit the game too much - at least to my point of view.

------------

It´s all manoeuvre warfare these days! - (Egon)

[ November 07, 2007, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: Egon ]

Quotes from tech. support forum/Owen Wills´ topic:

-----

Sneaksie

(..) Release of new map builder should make this more simple, in addition to landscape editing ability.

-----

Egon

(..) Does "landscape" include elevation / heightmaps ?

-----

Sneaksie

Yes. Basically you can shape landscape as you want. Biggest challenge is not height map though, but 2048x2048 terrain texture itself. You still need graphic editing skills (i use GIMP) for editing it or creating new one.

-----

:cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Yep. Thing is, I suspect it will be an "add-on" item rather than a "patch" item. I have no problem with that except the patch is imminent.

The add-on, who knows?

At first I thought this patch was only going to address multi-player issues...but according to MadMatt there is a lot more in there...1.2 GB worth of stuff.

I just wish I could worm more information out of MM about what these AI improvements he spoke of were :D

Originally posted by Sneaksie:

There is a new Builder in this patch which can edit landscape, roads, etc.

That's what I call good news!!! Will we be able to change height and terrain type too??

Sneaksie, with all those goodies about the upcoming patch being hidden in quite some different threads....maybe it is time to give some detialed info about it soon? ;)

Uwe

That is really awesome with the upgrade for the map editor!! We will have then a full blown map editor. right now it is better than nothing, but unfortunately pretty limited :(

...with the patch release.

I hoped for prior to patch release.... Anyways, the wait won't kill me - and as long as the patch/add-on will be only half as good as promised.... nobody will kill you ;)

Uwe

Yes, you can edit height map and "terrain type" map (grass, culture grass, flowers, soil, etc.).

There will be changelog posted of course along with the patch release.

Sneaksie,

Thanks a lot. That is amazing!

Best news I hear in a long time. I'm back to TOW!!!

--

Thx for the good news, Sneaksie !

I have already begun collecting material for my favorite map/scenario project.

.. AND another question here: will maps be larger than 2x2km in the near future, or is this impossible for any reason ??

• 2 weeks later...

... thx for the compliment, Sneaksie (reminds me of the words I heard, when they tried to make me stay in the army for another four years - lol).

OK, back to the topic then. I found out, that there is a so-called "Deutsche Heereskarte 1:25000". I googled a lot, but those are scarce and high-prized on eBay and the archives don´t seem to have them accessible for Mr. Average (esp. NOT for wargamers, I guess).

Originally posted by Egon:

... thx for the compliment, Sneaksie (reminds me of the words I heard, when they tried to make me stay in the army for another four years - lol).

OK, back to the topic then. I found out, that there is a so-called "Deutsche Heereskarte 1:25000". I googled a lot, but those are scarce and high-prized on eBay and the archives don´t seem to have them accessible for Mr. Average (esp. NOT for wargamers, I guess).

Try an archive in Britain, Canada or the US, particularly regimental archives. I know my regiment in Calgary has holdings of captured enemy maps from NW Europe. More than one way to skin a cat, you know.