My impression of the demo

Panzer76

So, Im just casually interested in this game, which I guess many potential buyers are. And here is my experience with the demo.

Downloaded and installed, started up. Start training mission one, try to move the camera. Response is VERY sluggish and delayed by a few seconds, makes it impossible to move around or even have a clear view of my troops. Camera control not very intuative (may be connected to sluggishness). Nothing impressive. Exit the demo, forget about the game.

Now, there is nothing wrong with my PC, it is high-middel end, and runs far more rescource heavy games than this, smoothly.

Now, I guess there is a way to fix this if I was interested enough to go trouble shooting, browse the forum etc, but frankly, there are many games out there, and I dont feel like wasting time looking for a fix for a demo, that should have worked when I started it up. For me it tells me its shoddy work, and I loose interest.

Im not saying this as if its a " ah, woo is BTS, they loose a customer", but more as a reminder that there are many like me, and they may wantto look into their demo they release as to give potetial customers a better impression of their game.

Good luck.

He surely didnt try very hard. I tend to think as a customer you'd be more of a liability than an asset anyway, so perhaps its best that you and the game part ways. I have a "middel" end rig as well and had zero problems with the game. You can adjust camera scroll in the options menu. Was this supposed to be a joke post, btw?

and its "lose"....not loose

Overall I like the game - and I'm afraid I agree with Panzer76. The demo includes tutorials with tactics and deployments in that will get you killed in the game, the AT gun one being a particularly good example. The 'real' battle that's included has a lot of units in it and does affect performance on my machine (an old 2.8GHz P4 with 2G of RAM). I'd pre-ordered but I think it would have been unlikely (but not impossible) that I would have bought the game if all I'd seen was the demo and I think I'm more tolerant of problems in games I like than most. BF would be doing themselves a big favour if they revised the tutorial missions to make them finishable and put in a mission or two that's more typical of the number of units you find during the campaigns.

Have fun

Finn

Originally posted by sonar:

The only problem I had with the demo was that it showed the game to be crap.

If you don't like the game then why are posting on the TOW forums? I think by now most people have come to their own conclusions about the game...no point beating a dead horse.

I recently upgraded my memory and viddie card in part for this game and saw no appreciable result in improvement in frame rates. However, after putting a minor (10%) over-clock on the processor, I was able to immediately see a difference. I think the game suffers somewhat from poorly compiled code, which Battlefront has already said as much.

I think the only way to get anything out of it currently is to throw more raw clock cycles at it. However, with the new compiled code in the patch, I think I will see some (hopefully) substantial improvements in performance.

Madmatt has already indicated that has been their recent experience with the new code on Athlon 64 based machines.

I still think you are probably better off running the game with 2 gig of RAM. Too much virtual memory makes the game "hiccup" quite a bit.

met1966 this is a forum and the title of this thread is "My impression of the demo".Everyone knows the problems with this game,if it gets fixed then fine but in it's present state for me "My impression" is that it's crap ok.So please keep your aggressive and nasty little comments to yourself.

[ June 16, 2007, 04:03 AM: Message edited by: sonar ]

Everyone knows the problems,,,,Yes every1 knows but only a few don't want to play it or wait for the patch so move on and let the vast mayority of us who r enjoying it have fun with it without having to read your repeated posts. Panzer stated a problem and the guys r making suggestions to help....U r not!!!!

Originally posted by sonar:

met1966 this is a forum and the title of this thread is "My impression of the demo".Everyone knows the problems with this game,if it gets fixed then fine but in it's present state for me "My impression" is that it's crap ok.So please keep your aggressive and nasty little comments to yourself.

Then why keep posting on a forums? If you think the game is crap then sell your copy on eBay go play something else.

Now,now boys the object of the forum is to exchange opinions on the topics discussed.The title of this topic is "My impression of the demo" I'm giving my impression of the demo,that is the way the forum works,if you don't agree with me fine but don't try and bully me away just cause I don't want to dance to your tune.

sonar, if the fixes being discussed are implemented, will this change your opinion do you think? or do you generally just dislike the game anyway? A fair few people who like the game say the demo is crap, so its of no surprise when someone who might not like the game would think the demo ... well - crap smile.gif

From most of the comments about the demo (it being not a good reflection of the game) would it not be in BFC/1C best interests to modify it?

Slapano,I have followed this game since it was wartime command or whatever it was called back then.I really hope that they can fix the game as it would be in my interest if they did.My comments are based soley on the unplayabilyty of the game(for me) in it's present state. Cheers.

Sonar. I think everyone else here gets a pretty clear idea of your mental development. If all you are going to do is post sophomoric (complete with spelling errors) useless comments then I think you should expect responses in the same tone. Why not come in with some humility and true desire for some assistance? You'd find tons of intelligent, dedicated gamers eager to help with your problems.

As the game runs fine on my system, which is hardly high end as well as most others..then the problems you appear to be experiencing are most likely the cause of operator error - to put it nicely. Or..I could just say that the operator is crap, but I wouldnt do that.

I'm playing this demo over and over while I'm waiting for my copy to arrive and the only thing that bothers me are the low fps. But still... I can't wait to play the full version. I haven't been so excited about a WWII game since Close Combat!!