HE rounds r made wrong?

Bad

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually they don't quite have 0 impact - if you look at the penetration bar they'll go through light armour. Very rarely indeed I've had direct impacts from my artillery go through the roofs of light tanks too (Pz35/38s). For medium vehicles if the angle is right you'll sometimes get crew kills (I've had this happen to me a few times). I also wouldn't be surprised if some medium tanks had limited areas where armour was light enough for a big HE round to penetrate.

Have fun

Finn

today i say a T34-85 taking about 45 hits of HE. 75 long and 88/56 kaliber.

its gun was damaged prior to this. all hit where made from the side or back, low section...some mid. it didnt moved.

all shots faild to break the tracks.

after i gave up on the try to safe ammo by that way and drove on it sudenly reversed away. after about 1 houer realtime i found it abandomd not far away.

well, HE could be just a bit more effectfull.

EDIT:

i have to add; the t34 standin next to that one was KOed after 3 hits to the back. it was burning as if something catched fire.

the other one however...took all pather HE´s and some Tiger ones.

[ June 01, 2007, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: Pandur ]

Originally posted by Markus86:

so you can for sure name your sources smile.gif or have you heard about it from a cousins friends, who has a girlfriend with an aunt, whose husband told this?

we had this discussion on ww2-online forums;)

The figures are more or less correct. It depends on fusing of the HE. With fuse set to sensitive he will only "wipe the dust" of the armor and will not penetrate. With delayed fuse heavy HE will penetrate light armor, not anything like T-34 though. HE design is pretty much the opposite to what is required for penetrating. They have low sectional mass and relatively low shell integrity with brittle steel and fuse in the nose. They are designed to shatter, not penetrate.

Originally posted by Jippo:

The figures are more or less correct. It depends on fusing of the HE. With fuse set to sensitive he will only "wipe the dust" of the armor and will not penetrate. With delayed fuse heavy HE will penetrate light armor, not anything like T-34 though. HE design is pretty much the opposite to what is required for penetrating. They have low sectional mass and relatively low shell integrity with brittle steel and fuse in the nose. They are designed to shatter, not penetrate.

they still deliver alot of energy and it doesnt need penitration to kill the crew inside the tank

As mentioned earlier, crew kills from non-penetrations are in the game. I've killed crew and had crew killed by HE shells, takes a few hits though. Possibly it's toned down a bit in some cases (I imagine there should be some deaf and panicked crew members out there that aren't), but I don't see what's happening in the game to be implausible.

Have fun

Finn

How does heat kill the crew without penetrating?

-heat?

-pressure?

-shockwave?

-spalling?

I don't think you know a great deal about these things, so this discussion is not very useful. I think we can say that for a computer game the effect is close enough in ToW, or not? I suggest that you will find some reference for HE effects on armor before continuing. I mean "HE was usefull vs tanks, not as good as AP vs thick armor, but vs med armor they were great ( from big caliber guns) " is not quite good enough.

I believe I read that spalling is in the game, and it seems to be born out by my experience with crew casualties.

Have to agree with Jippo though, you can't 'know' something without some sort of evidence or reference - otherwise it's just an opinion (it might be right, but that's all it is).

Have fun

Finn

Originally posted by Matchstick:

If HE is such an effective tank killer why does no modern army use it against armoured vehicles ?

who is talking about effective?

did you even bother to read thread

Originally posted by Normal Dude:

Wel, in your very first post, you said HE was useful vs tanks. That pretty much means the same thing...

no it doesnt, again, you dont need penitration to kill tank

OK, since you guys need to be walked through this miscommunication, I am going to start from the top:

Step 1: Bad Posts in first post:

"HE was usefull vs tanks" (direct quote)

As in, HE was a useful projectile/ammo/whatever against armored targets.

Step 2: Matchstick posts later:

"If HE is such an effective tank killer ..."

As in, questioning the effectiveness (Perhaps, usefulness???) of HE vs tanks.

Step 3: Bad posts (and pretty damned rudely I might add):

"who is talking about effective?

did you even bother to read thread "

I'm assuming you misunderstood him, which brings us to step 4:

Step 4: I then respond:

"Wel, in your very first post, you said HE was useful vs tanks. That pretty much means the same thing..."

As in, trying to point out to you that HE being USEFUL against tanks and HE being EFFECTIVE against tanks could easily be construed to mean the same thing, and that you were out of line in responding in step 3, because he quite obviously DID read the thread and was responding to it in a constructive manner.

Step 5: Bad then responds to me with:

"no it doesnt, again, you dont need penitration to kill tank"

Which tells me you are definetely ARE misunderstanding, because in reality you just agreed with the quote in Step 5's response.

Is this clear now?

Or maybe "useful" and "effective" mean different things to you than the rest of us.

Pvt Ryan:

Care to elaborate?

Originally posted by Bad:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Matchstick:

If HE is such an effective tank killer why does no modern army use it against armoured vehicles ?

who is talking about effective?

did you even bother to read thread </font>