All most sat this one out.........

RazorbackJac

All most sat this one out due to no map editor and the Elicense thing. But I finally decided to get it after the editor was announced. I'll take a chance on the Elicense thing(I hate it) and I pay for Every game I get.

I played the demo before and knew it was a very good game. Battlefront is a great group of people and I trust e'm and that's what got me past the Elicense(Did I say I hate it).

One of the few games(including CM series) that really puts you in the heat of the combat. I do recommend the game to all.

They go out of business- you don't have a game. That's the deal. Pvt. Ryan. I like keeping what I pay for. No use in getting into the elicens issues. It's already been cover here. Have a nice day.d

By the way I am "not" saying their going out of business-just you never know what going on behind closed doors.

I like the fact that you don't need a disk to play the game. I don't like elicensing and un-elicensing every time I need to uninstall/reinstall the game. I currently have over twenty games installed and sometimes I have to remove a game to try a demo or load a new game. And yes, I actually play around with all the games now and then. Especially shooters (i.e. Call of Duty) where I can play a quick game or two. Also, action RPG (i.e. Titan Quest) where I can Hack & Slash when I'm in the mood.

I support elicensing because of the high level of pirating that if prevelent today. In spite of the flaws in this game it's still and amazing accomplishment and the people involved deserve compensation. Fully supporting them (paying for the game and putting up with elicensing) is the only way we have a chance for the game to reach its full potential. I feel confident Battlefront will work with 1C to ensure this happens.

Edgge, I agree with ya my friend. I trust Battlefront thats one reason I bought the game.

I don't like the pirating myself. Never done it, never will.

I do like the buy the game now and download and get a disc later. Battlefront and Matrix both do this. I do want them to sale Millions of copies. smile.gif

Okay, once again I would like to point out that battlefront did not make this game. 1C did and for future reference look closely at this because a lot of people who disliked the game got burnt for relying on battlefronts reputation even though they did not design the game, merely publishing it.

Originally posted by RazorbackJac:

They go out of business- you don't have a game. That's the deal.

In that scenario, Battlefront would simply release a patch that would no longer require eLicense authentication. You would still have your game.

Originally posted by wokelly:

Okay, once again I would like to point out that battlefront did not make this game. 1C did and for future reference look closely at this because a lot of people who disliked the game got burnt for relying on battlefronts reputation even though they did not design the game, merely publishing it.

To me publishing it is the same as making it as far as reputation goes. I have faith that TOW will work out because BF won't put their name on it and let it fail. Its like GM putting their name on an Isuzu or a Suzuki. They take responsibility for it and hammer on the OEM if it sucks.

To me publishing it is the same as making it as far as reputation goes. I have faith that TOW will work out because BF won't put their name on it and let it fail. Its like GM putting their name on an Isuzu or a Suzuki. They take responsibility for it and hammer on the OEM if it sucks.
Absolutely true!! If BFC distributes it, it's as much their reputation at stake as 1C.

That said, I think ToW is an excellent game.

shady services and extra software silently bundled with games is my biggest concern.

You don't know what they do, you're not even expressly told about their existance before you make your "non-refunded" purchase and you just have to put up with them lurking around your system in the name of copy protection (which in all intents and purposes is NOT my problem or concern).

Saw it with that nightmare of protection "safedisk", heard of it in the SONY copy protection on their music cd's, and heard about that omgwtf spyware bundled with battlefield 2042 (or whatever it's name is).

I made the mistake of having safedisk on my computer once, and I did know of it's existance and possible problems.

I did it again with elicence and I want to cut my hand off. If this wasn't something I HAD to have right here, right now, I would have never shelled any money for this.

Funny thing is that all those pirated copies floating around are way safer than the original insanely protected material.

elicense is one of the major reasons why I haven't bought this game already. And am going to have major concerns about buying other games from Battlefront that use it.

If the hacker crowd thinks your game is cool enough to spend the effort, they WILL crack it.

As usual the people affected most by such policies are the ones who actually purchase the software...

Funny enough the people with strongest opinions regarding eLicense have never really tried it, or have never really understood how it works.

There is nothing evil going on, no spyware (you communicate with the eLicense server once to activate the game the first time, that's it), there is no copy protection at all (you can copy the software as much as you want, nothing to prevent it), there is nothing tied to your hardware that would make your drive self-destruct or something like that.

With the concept of a mobile license, you have no restrictions on how and where you use the game, unlike with some other DRM systems (including some of the most common one's).

BTW, Edgge, you do not need to unlicense the game after uninstalling. You can uninstall the game and the license will be remembered, so the next time you install the game, you won't have to re-license it (it will automatically launch).

The opposite is true, too. You can unlicense the game and leave it installed. Some people that are travelling a lot are using this to have the game installed on several computers and simply unlicense and relicense them when they switch locations.

Again, most people with strong opinions are basing them on anything except having actually made any experience with eLicense. The only problems with eLicense that our support is experiencing are Windows or other software problems (Firewalls which are poorly implemented or configured) but so far we have been able to solve pretty much anything. For most people, eLicense is a one-click-to-activate type experience.

Ketil, everything can be cracked, and, given enough time, I guess will be cracked. Which is why in the past we have been releasing unprotected or barely protected games. Sonalysts' Dangerous Waters for example was released completely without any protection. What we got back from the community was that tens of thousands of copies of the game were circulating through BitTorrent literally overnight. Our use of eLicense is a direct result of this (as well as experience with the later released T-72 game).

Therefore the point that anything can be cracked so we should simply not bother with copy protection is simply nonsense. I could use stronger words but then I would have to ban myself smile.gif

We have been looking for a DRM technology partner for a long time (over a year). Really didn't make things easy on us. We really wanted a system which gives us some flexibility and that is more user friendly than most of the others out there. This, coupled with the fact that up until last year we have been releasing unprotected games, should really be a strong indication that we're not some evil corporation using DRMs to torture its customers, but that it has been a very necessary step, caused by first hand experience, that ensures the survival of Battlefront and its developers.

Martin

Destraex, it's been repeated here several times already, including in this thread.

If Battlefront goes under, eLicense would continue servicing the games first of all, but additional to that we would release unprotected exe's.

BTW, of course it's not like the games would suddenly stop working. Any game that is activated remains activated. There is no online communication with the eLicense servers each time you run the game. You only need it if you want to uninstall and later reinstall the game elsewhere.

This is one of the weakest arguments aganst eLicense (or any other Digital Rights Management system). Not that any of them are stronger.

Martin

Originally posted by RazorbackJac:

They go out of business- you don't have a game. That's the deal. Pvt. Ryan. I like keeping what I pay for. No use in getting into the elicens issues. It's already been cover here. Have a nice day.d

By the way I am "not" saying their going out of business-just you never know what going on behind closed doors.

My mother died last November at the age of 55 and that was terrible blow for me. I look at many things now differently.

Also, don't want to sound too depressing because I am ok but you don't keep anything. You can be dead tomorrow. Ask Jim Morrison and he said no one get's out alive.

After 10 years this game might be obsolete or even don't work with Gazillion Windows Gates 1.7

People ussually even don't have a time to play the games as all new ones better arrive and yes classics are good to play but I still waiting for that first company to went under SO that you cannot play their games! That is nonsense those games will be able to be played as patch will be released. Even if some company do take over Battlefront.com I really don't see any interest in THEM making those games unplayable. I would not buy Battlefront.com assets and in fact frozen games from the past. Very bad move in fact and I would not give 1$ for whole Battlefront.com if that would be the case.

I would say this, Battlefront.com promised patches if they go out of business and I trust them.

Why I would not trust them? Give me one reason.

Mario