Whats your favourite thing about TOW?

carlR

As a CM player & modder (Limey)its taken me a loooong time to get to grips with this game, but yesterday everything clicked and now I think its fantastic. Getting the camera set up properly was the big thing for me. I reckon those people who have criticised the game just havn't tried hard enough or long enough to get to understand it. Sure, it has faults, like every game, but you can rest assured that BFC WILL ensure anything that can be fixed will be fixed.

There are loads of awesome things about this game but the best part for me is targetting an enemy tank, then zooming the camera onto the target and watching bits fly off as the shells hit home. A great damage model and really cinematic to watch.

If you had to pick one thing you like best what would it be?

I really enjoy sneaking people up to the enemy positions, scouting with one or two men then moving the rest up followed by the tension mounting as you plan the actual final assault, adjusting the position of the various team members. When things work out and you catch the enemy on the hop there's a great feeling of satisfaction.

I could mention that at this point you usually then get counterattacked in the flank by 6 King Tigers. Whining aside though, when you play a scenario for the first time the ratcheting up of the tension, not knowing what's going to happen next, followed by a fury of battle is pretty hard to beat. It's a shame that artificial reinforcements/counterattacks and a lack of a 'real' campaign which allows stalemates, withdrawls, partial wins/losses etc detracts from this. Looking forward to the new campaign though, and hoping it'll be more on the lines of what I enjoy - especially in the conjunction with new LOS stuff in the patch.

Have fun

Finn

At the moment the sheer spectacle of it.All other problems with gameplay etc. will be fixed I'm sure.Even the game editor which I thought might be a problem for my enjoyment of the game is almost as good as it needs to be at least for me personally.

Originally posted by Destraex:

I only feel guilty not knowing how often it really did happen

In On Combat there is a story about an US soldier that fiddles around with a Pak38 in the middle of an ongoing battle until he finds a way to fire it and then loads and shoots the thing all by himself until he runs out of ammunition. The first shell he fired was AP and promptly pierced a stone wall in front of him. He makes the point that if he had started shooting with HE he would have killed himself right away before being able to correct his aim!

Best regards,

Thomm

Yeah I think thats why comparisons to CM or CC are futile. Much (but not all) of this game is fought at maximum range and in that respect it is very different from anything else out there.

Awesome armor engagements!

And beautiful graphics!

But the best part…..the real life squad level tactics are unlike any other game I've played. I place the MG-34 to provide covering fire and split up the remaining squad to flank the enemy position....one group tosses grenades while another assaults the trench with MP-40s....

Infantry tactics are so important in ToW. I never bring my armor forward without scouting thoroughly. I learned this the hard way :)

Whilst I don't have the game yet, and won't until the European copies start shipping, what initially interested me (ever since the days when it was published by Codemasters under the name "Battlefield Command") was the sheer scope of the game, covering more or less everything in mainland Europe (other than Italy) from 1939 to 1945, with most vehicle, gun and troop types represented (I've always wanted a game that let you play the Polish and French campaigns from the Allied side!) - combined with the detailed 3D graphics and the level of realism and historical accuracy.

It's certainly not CM, but it's still several orders of magnitude more realistic, detailed and accurate than the other WW2 real-time games out there, other than the CC series and the even more buggy, clunky and unpolished Squad Assault (a game I tried very hard to like, but failed).

Since I haven't actually played TOW yet, I'll reserve judgment about what I like about it till then! - but though the LOS and AI problems reported by other players sound like very serious problems, it looks like the game is worth persevering with all the same; other than CM there's simply no other 3D WW2 wargame which has as much detail and scope as TOW. And, unlike many games, it sounds like the developers are making a real effort to improve and add to the game via patches.