HIDE HIDE HIDE

kryger

If 1C would have done what every other developer out there is doing and put the concealment (opaqueness) values in XML files, we wouldn't have had this outburst on negativity on this forum.

The most moddable games are by far the most succesfull games.. How 1C could have missed this is beyond me.

Edit: SirReal, I changed it to 1C, happy now? :rolleyes:

PS. Point still stands by the way. With Battlefront being the distributor and having a vested interest in the success of the game, they could have stepped in and negotiated moddability in the game.

[ May 10, 2007, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: ZaPPPa ]

Originally posted by ZaPPPa:

If Battlefrond would have done what every other developer out there is doing and put the concealment (opaqueness) values in XML files, we wouldn't have had this outburst on negativity on this forum.

The most moddable games are by far the most succesfull games.. How Battlefront could have missed this is beyond me.

How people miss that Battlefront did not develop this game is beyond me. :rolleyes:

I agree completely - I wonder if it's a legacy of the really long development time? IL2 is also very un-moddable (at least not without direct developer involvement in getting models into the game) - on the basis that it eliminates all possibility of using mods to cheat online. I notice that in the next flight sim from the IL2 team (Storm of War?) that it's planned that people will be able to do a lot more independently from the developers, it's just crazy to do otherwise and I think everybody knows it these days. That said even IL2 allows textures to be modded, which has to make ToW one of the least moddable games out there. I hope that we get some more info on plans to get the game a bit more customisable in the future, such as what might be possible and what might not be - eg 3D models, maps (not just the objects on them), sounds, textures, weapons, etc.

Have fun

Finn

Agreed, making agame difficult or near impossible to mod only reduces its life span. I'm sure BF know this. Without knowing the details it's unfair to pass judgement.

I'd have thought BF would have had some concerns about this aspect of the game and would have made this known to the devs. But at the end of the day, it is what it is.

I'm just only into the 2nd french mission (done the polish), and I have to say there is plenty of place to hide.

Tanks are next to impossible to hide in anything but behind ground elevations (which are a lot, just zoom in and pay attention to the ground). You can hide tanks in bushes and other assorted stuff, but only at ranges of 1km (much closer in bad weather conditions).

Infantry on the other side can hide really easily in bushes, I've had a 0-scout infantry in the 1st polish mission hide for the entire 1hr duration of the battle 150m away from hostile infantry.

The one thing that makes me a sad panda is the quite low ability of hiding those AT's. It seems their sig is quite high, even in bushes and camo. Apparently tho this changes in the next patch.

"Clean out those tanks, silence the AT's, fast-scoop all the infantry, wait for the rest of the tanks to get close" is what I try, but it doesn't work to my expectations. Ofc I have no idea how visible AT's where in reality.

There is a way around it but I find it quite lame: unman the AT's and hold the men prone next to them till the tanks are in range.

The AI seems to ignore empty AT's.

Hmmm, now that I think of it, it looks like the game calculates visibility on the AT and NOT the manning crews. AT becomes visible quite easily and the game informs both the AI and the player if it's manned or not.

In order to avoid this freebie of intel it would be a good change to require for the player/AI to actually spot a soldier manning the AT to consider it hostile. And since the soldiers are behind the screen facing the tank, they can be considered somewhat hidden.

Since AT crew is just kneeling, it would not make their detection impossible from tanks. Also, this would reenforce mixed-unit tactics since the infantry can easily spot kneelig infantry, even under cover (I hate the fact that I can bbq things all over the place with just tanks).

From the looks of it, some design choices are supporting this since the sniper can target specific soldier crews (so the AT+crew are not considered a single entity).

[ May 10, 2007, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: nonickch ]