Why do Officer/NCO's only have sidearms???

*Buzzsaw*

I started off by trying to play the early French campaign, and noticed the officers/NCO's in that only have pistols. I assumed this was because it was early war, and perhaps historical.

After many game crashes later, I have been playing with my settings in an effort to get the game to play, and when I selected the American/British campaign as part of that testing, I noticed the officers/NCO's still only have pistols.

This is completely unhistorical. All later war German/British/American NCO/Junior Officers were equipped with long arms, either SMG's or Rifles.

Hopefully this can be changed.

IIRC (from looking at the mission .xml files in the Russian ToW patch, months ago) soldier equipment loadouts are defined in the mission files,

so could be modded fairly easily by editing the .xml files for the campaign missions. Hence if the officer armament isn't changed in the patch it will be fairly easy to fix with a mod (not sure about MP missions though)

To give your NCO's any weapon is easy in the mission editor, it wont take a minute.

Just open the mission.xml you want to edit.

Choose the unit, usually the first in the group is the commander.

Now just change the backpack items.

Save.

Done.

If its that simple to provide the officers with weapons, why doesn't BATTLEFRONT and 1C do that?

Any study of the facts would tell them that pistols were not used as battlefield leader's weapons after about 1941.

I seem to get mixed results...with some of the crewmen coming out with a sub-machine gun or pistol while others exit with nothing.

So Molo might have a point there. If that's true, then that's pretty darned realistic when you think about it.

I've noticed on many of my tanks it's a mixed bag. Some crew have weapons, others don't. If you mouse over their portraits with the vehicle selected, you can see if they have SMGs and ammo: if the little red icons are showing on their pop-up profile, the guy is weaponless. It seems to me usually tank commanders have an SMG, but I haven't noticed a pattern with the rest of the crew. Some do, some don't.

I am not referring to Tank Crews. I am referring to Infantry Officers and NCO's. They are armed with pistols, which is completely unhistorical for most of the war.

The patch should modify the missions so these leaders are appropriately armed.

Oops, got derailed then, sorry.

Hmm, which units in particular are you referring to? I've only played one battle as American Airborne, and all my squad leaders had Thompsons if I recall. Are you noticing this in Staff squads as opposed to rifle squads?

It certainly is ahistoric if fighting troops of whatever rank don't have aught but a pistol.

I haven't checked them all but germans Staff squads or rifle squads, the commander has submachineguns. For the russians I'm sure this is also true for at least rifle squads.

So I guess by default they do have other weapons. But it depends on the mission designer to assign the weapons.

Commanders of AT gun crews only have pistols though by default.

--

Oh really that can be edit...so I guess I can armed officer/NCO with sniper rifle since they have better scout skill. ummm SMG for tank crews...cool!, I may will add SMG to them. I used to have tanks pull over enemy dead bodies to let crew out to collect suitable weapons then go back to tank. I had been thinking of get tank go to near hill then let crew out and had crews peek over top of hill to doing scouting over even use sniper to shoot at enemy officer/NCO.