Smaller Campaigns focus

SlapHappy

For any future modded or designer created campaigns, it would be more effective, IMO, to scale back to several battles recreating a smaller time scale than was used for the main campaigns.

For instance, instead of trying to encompass all German engagements from 39-45 with a dozen or so battles, create campaigns that just cover Hurtgen Forest or maybe even a smaller segment of that action.

Also more battles with a much more limited access to armor and very heavy on infantry. The current balance in m ost battles still seems tank-heavy.

It would be great to see one of those russian infantry charges against german trenchlines at 4-1 or better odds. I can see the smoke rolling off the processor and vid-card, now! smile.gif

I spent last summer in Hungary, travelling the sites of the battles around Budapest and lake Balaton. The maps would do quite well for the Balaton battles, and that would be the focus of a few linked battles I would like to do (Operation Spring Awakening). Now I just need any amount of free time to learn the editor.

I have to agree, each battle being weeks or months after the previous map is odd. Almost battles based on individual offensives would be better. Like a 10 mission campaign based on Kursk, or maybe a few missions based on the Large German encirclements of 1941, or the great Russian victories of 1944.

• 2 weeks later...

Im doing some research on a particular unit and also trying to figure out the mission editor. I want to follow that unit during the course of the war; making several campaigns per front.

Apart from missing some units, the bigest problems are the maps. It doesnt make sence to do tenfolds of battles on 3 fronts on aprox 10 maps or so.

Also you can field only one regiment on a map.

Originally posted by SlapHappy:

For any future modded or designer created campaigns, it would be more effective, IMO, to scale back to several battles recreating a smaller time scale than was used for the main campaigns.

For instance, instead of trying to encompass all German engagements from 39-45 with a dozen or so battles, create campaigns that just cover Hurtgen Forest or maybe even a smaller segment of that action.

Also more battles with a much more limited access to armor and very heavy on infantry. The current balance in m ost battles still seems tank-heavy.

It would be great to see one of those russian infantry charges against german trenchlines at 4-1 or better odds. I can see the smoke rolling off the processor and vid-card, now! smile.gif

I'd be happy to code a mission like that.

If you have a "plot" and the exact OOB I could try and do something.

---

I would love to see a bunch of generic maps that have different geographical features. That way you could match the map to your particular battle. With the upcoming Map editor you could then add whatever buildings and static items you wanted.

Oudy

--

Apparently what we will get with the so called Map Editor is just the current maps with the ability to delete or add the static objetcs.

I don't expect to be able to change terrain properties or elevations. Not in this editor. But I'm optimistic about some MOD tools though.

--