TOW Represents the Worst Of Both Worlds

Chive

I was very disappointed by the ToW demo. It seems to me to represent the worst of both worlds.

It has a surface of complexity and detail. At first glance the dedicated wargamer will be thrilled by the interface. But dig deeper and there is little substance.

It feels as if the developers modeled open field tank combat and then ran out of time and money. Infantry are so hobbled that they might as well not even exist. Terrain seems to consist of mildly rolling flatlands with scattered trees. Many essential aspects of small unit combat are missing.

So the hardcore wargamer is likely to be keenly disappointed. But at the same time the casual RTS wargame crowd is not going to be happy either. This player just wants quick action and fun with a little gloss of realism on the surface. He does not care what type of rife Private Schultz carries or how many rounds are in the clip.

So, who is this game supposed to be for? What's the market?.

Well, you seem to have answered that yourself - someone who isn't hardcore but isn't a casual gamer either. That's quiet a big market I'd guess.

Or maybe it can appeal across all sorts of markets. I enjoyed CM (and still do), but I also like ToW an awful lot too. I've also dabbled in RTS games, but they're really not my bag.

I think it depends how you approach this game - I find it fun because of what it is, I don't get upset because of what it isn't or what it was never trying to be.

But hey, that's just me.

------

But, please look at competition. Matrix Games is recycling old code from 1997. and then slap price of 40$ on that. Here you have brand new game with awesome graphics and gameplay is also good for a decent price. Eventually some issues will be solved and some things improved.

The game was never intented to be HARDCORE WARGAME.

It comes from makers of FLIGHT SIMULATIONS. Like Il -2.... Sometime long time ago in far away galaxy when there was C-64 and MicroProse, flight simulation were even mainstream games believe it or not.

So this game is not so realistic but naturally it shoots for wider market. If they did totally hardcore wargame they will shoot itself in the foot. As it have gorgeus graphics many graphic whores and RTS kiddies will want it as well. And mainstream crowd that plays Total War will want it as well. But real hardcore wargamers don't care so much for graphics and in any case are not targeted

as a market.

But game is casual in it's style and hardcore wargamers might like it if they like good games and don't play exclusively TOAW and Combat Mission or some other game.

I like all good games so that's why I have bought it. I am wargamer but like all good designs.

Mario

Originally posted by Bloodstar44:

------

It comes from makers of FLIGHT SIMULATIONS. Like Il -2....

Mario

Judging by the demo, they should stick to what they do best, and so far that's not WWII Combined arms RTS.

Originally posted by Chive:

Infantry are so hobbled that they might as well not even exist.

This is your opinion based only on playing the demo. I can tell you that it is wrong. Having spent many hours playing the full game the Infantry are far from 'hobbled'!

Three Infantrymen won a mission in the Allies campaign for me by taking out a tank and several enemy Infantry that were making it impossible for my AT guns to engage the enemy guns.

It needs patience and tactical movement to get the Infantry to be a threat, but it can be done, I and others have proved it.

Missions are unbalanced because there were made long ago, when TOW had unrealistic engagement ranges (tank guns could fire no more than for several hundred meters, etc.). Then by popular demand they removed these restrictions and saw what happened. They said that everything went okay, and for last patch missions where even redesigned, but i didn't see changes from 1.0 version (this version had realistic ranges olready, but there were a number of damage related bugs). I think that all missions must be redone from scratch, especially missions like Dunkirk. I doubt it would be done though as its a lot of work.

What i'm 100% sure, it's that if good modder team would do a campaign it's would be 100000 times better than originals which are only poor demonstrations of what can be done with current state of engine.

Originally posted by Sneaksie:

Missions are unbalanced because there were made long ago, when TOW had unrealistic engagement ranges (tank guns could fire no more than for several hundred meters, etc.). Then by popular demand they removed these restrictions and saw what happened. They said that everything went okay, and for last patch missions where even redesigned, but i didn't see changes from 1.0 version (this version had realistic ranges olready, but there were a number of damage related bugs). I think that all missions must be redone from scratch, especially missions like Dunkirk. I doubt it would be done though as its a lot of work.

What i'm 100% sure, it's that if good modder team would do a campaign it's would be 100000 times better than originals which are only poor demonstrations of what can be done with current state of engine.

Some nice observation Sneaksie. You followed development smile.gif

BTW, what is the difference between Russian version and this version and did 1C patch Russian version to BF.com version?

Obviously they could write a novel about making of this game.

There is quite a uproar about Russian patch - it was said to be released after BF release (due to agreement with BF it could not been released earlier), but now they hold it until new enhanced edition which includes it will be printed and put on sale (probably middle May). Only then the patch said to be released for free downloading (300mb and 500mb versions, bigger includes enhanced sound). We in Russian community are really pissed off because all we have now is beta patch with only german campaign functional and it's version is significantly earlier than BF release. Even by patch size it can be assumed it changes very much, but considering your posts game still has very large room for improvement, esp. spotting issues.

What better than 10 marketing guys at the bottom of the sea? 100 marketing guys at the bottom of the sea.

Originally posted by Sneaksie:

There is quite a uproar about Russian patch - it was said to be released after BF release (due to agreement with BF it could not been released earlier), but now they hold it until new enhanced edition which includes it will be printed and put on sale (probably middle May). Only then the patch said to be released for free downloading (300mb and 500mb versions, bigger includes enhanced sound). We in Russian community are really pissed off because all we have now is beta patch with only german campaign functional and it's version is significantly earlier than BF release. Even by patch size it can be assumed it changes very much, but considering your posts game still has very large room for improvement, esp. spotting issues.

What better than 10 marketing guys at the bottom of the sea? 100 marketing guys at the bottom of the sea.

Thanks for your view it is more than welcome on this forum!

I hope as you do that they will make everything humanly possible smile.gif