Question on targeting

Avwriter

When I put one of my units in Attack mode and target a specific enemy unit, is my unit supposed to continue attacking the targeted unit until it is destroyed, or is it necessary to target the unit repeatedly?

I ask this becasue, in my experience so far, I am not getting consistent results in this situation. Let's say that I identify a specific enemy tank which I decide must be eliminated urgently. And so I will target it with my AT, or another tank and then move on to deal with the next threat. A minute or two later when I come back to chack out the AT's progress, I find that my AT is now pointing and fireing in another direction even through the tank I targeted with it is not disabled, and is still in range.

When I target an enemy unit, am I really only ordering my unit to fire a single shot at the target?

no that is not happening to me. When i target something or someone it will attack until it dies.

Even go after it when it tries to retreat.

that was also an expensive lesson. costed me an tiger which was going after a t34( had target it and was busy at another part of the map) but ended up in the trench where it was blown by inf.

The t34 retreated so quick that my tiger ended up by the enemy.

Okay, well it helps to hear that it is working properly fro some of you. I will go back and try to observe things more closely. It may be that my unit lost LOS and I did not notice, or possibly that my unit came under enemy fire from another direction and was forced to deal with it.

I've come across the opposite problem a few times - tanks with disabled main guns heading full speed directly into enemy armour. Something seems to be up with crew from destroyed vehicles as well, it's not uncommon to see them charging their target, pausing in the middle of an open area running back, and running forward again. Of course it's easy enough just to order them behind some cover and hold position but in the meantime it looks more than a bit ridiculous. In the avalanche mission I've had enemy infantry charging me down the hill in the open - with predictable results. Personally I think the AI is much too prone to just attack, attack, attack. So far I'm playing on the 'easy' setting, maybe it's a bit more sensible on harder ones.

Have fun

Finn

One of the things to remember too is there are 2 types of line of sight. LOS and LOF , Your unit can maybe SEE the other unit but if its Line of Fire is blocked it might decide to switch targets. Check the bottom left of the UI when selecting your AT gun and see if any messages were to that effect.

I think an easy fix that would strengthen the playability of this game would be to have "pursuit" turned off by default in this game. There are too many assets to keep track of to have your units chasing after every isolated soldier that a tank might spot for a few seconds while it is moving across it's line of sight.

It can and often does result in a stupid loss of valuable assets when an important tank blunders into an AT enfilade because it spotted some threatless enemy crew member and goes "rabbit chasing". That's just dumb and unwarranted behavior even for an AI.