Death Road?

Gen Schmaeterling

Anyone else getting their butts kicked on the second battle of the Allied Campaign, Death Road?

I'm taking the 4 Cromwells. I've tried outflanking, outrunning, everything, and they keep plinking away.

That 100 mm frontal armor is brutal. What I just found during my last whooping is that if you aim for the turrets, you can disable the gun pretty regularly (especially when it's massed fire).

I'd love someone like JasonC from CMBB to come along and show us how to get past this ambush!

So far, I am loving the game. I'm sure there's some patches coming that will make it even better. Even better, I can't wait for people to start creating missions that take advantage of the game's strengths!

Rock on BFC!

Hi Gen. Schmaeterling. I just played this battle for the 2nd time as the first attempt got my clock cleaned straight away.

Second attempt I made sure I bought the extra Cromwell from the reserves and took all 5 of them to the right as soon as the mission started. I made for the little group of builings about 200 meters away and spread them out along the wall area near there. Then I advanced them along the right flank. By this time the enemy had shown up and the others were all under my control too. So I took the others and went off the road to the left with all but 2 in the front of the column. They went straight up the road full speed and the 1st tiger had trouble tracking them. I decided to keep the lead Cromwell going straight up the road flanking left of the tiger and sent the other off the road flanking right of the tiger. The 1st Tiger got my Cromwell on the road, but by then my 2nd Cromwell had flanked to the roght side and had a rear shot on him and got him in 1 try. Meanwhile my left flank was engaging the PZ IV at long range some were shooting and some were moving until they could see him. While all this was going on my original tanks were advancing along the rightmost flank of the map and found the second Tiger just behind the first one (next field over), He was trying to spin around to go after the Cromwell that toasted his buddy and my 5 Cromwells had flank and rear shots on him. He didn't last long either. By this time the 3rd Tiger was making his presence known on the left side of the road near some buildings in a treeline near the objective area. I didn't see how the PZ IV died but he was dead. So now all the Cromwells were making a bee line straight at the last Tiger from all directions at once. He died too. ;)

Now I admit there was some luck involved here as I lost only 1 tank and damged one turret on a second one and lost no men at all. Germans lost everything as far as I know. Then the mission ended since my tanks were in the objective area.

Seems the flanking is the only way to do it. You can't trade shots with them, you won't last long if you try. Tigers have a few weaknesses I know about and I tried to use them to my advantage. They cannot move the turret fast enough to track you at close range and your numbers will win if you can get past them.

Hope this helps you.

Platoon Crusher

I ended up doing something very simlar.

I sent three Cromwells right and two Cromwells left from the very beginning to provide flank security.

As soon as the Tigers sprung their ambush, I pressed forward with the first two Cromwells. Two left the road moving left, two moving right.

The Tigers weren't able to turn their turrets quickly enough and got caught in the crossfire.

The PzIV was hunted down by the two Cromwells who went left. As soon as he appeared, I had them backtrack a little so they could get nice flank shots (damaged gun) and then pluck away at the reeling Tigers ahead.

Overall, they lost all of theirs, I lost 4.

I was re-reading the Field Manual for Panzers (I think BFC sells it) and this is exactly how to do it. It's crazy that it works so well.

What a great game! Are you liking it?

Originally posted by Elvis:

Death Road? Tough? Wait until you move on to Avalanche. I have been playing that thing for months and have complained that it is unwinable. But today...yes today I finally won it. It felt GREAT to get that one won.

I won it the first time I played it, but I was playing on the easiest difficulty setting. I would imagine you was playing it on the hardest, yes?

I went different. I used a Churchill's 7 to draw fire as I drew it up the road, 5 Cromwell's to the left, and 4 to the right (after the tigers appear you get control over all croms). In the end killed 3 tigers and a mark4 for the loss of two croms and their entire crews on the hardest setting. Mind you it was like the third time I played, but yeah flanking is key.

i played that mission as german (think this is the same mission as for the germans wittmann.)

jeez what a fun i pulled my three tigers in one straight line up to the cromwells and as long as i shot the tanks which wanted to flank me the tanks in front of me could not do any harm.

so when the flanking tanks where burning i shot the rest down to pieces and just rolled with three tigers around the battlefield and shot the rest.

cant wait to try it from the other side but first want my german campaign to end