Road to Moscow

MyCoCo

First of all, I must say thank you to the team for this game and also to Moon and the other staff, I haven't posted before but have been lurking for a while, very pleasant and polite people ;) .

I am having a blast with Theatre of War and I think this may be the game which starts me off on the path of tactical wargaming (I have been playing flight sims for a while but was blissfully unaware that anything even reasonably historically accurate was about for wargaming also).

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy my RTS games like CoH but two tanks circling each other to try to hit each others rear armour always looks a bit odd.

Enough rambling however and down to the point. I am currently on the third mission for the German campaign an a far bit into it, but then, shock horror. As my flanking force begins storming the trenches whilst my engagement force on hill gives covering fire, 3 T-34s show up in their own flank.

Luckily I get some reserves roll in as my tanks start getting knocked, more tanks and some Pak38s.

I quickly unload the Pak38s and man them with some of the men in the trucks, bring them up to the brow of a hill, order them to aim for the hull of the T-34s and...nothing? It does say they don't have line of sight (even though looking from their perspective I am pretty sure they do) and they won't even load the gun with a shell. Not sure what I am doing wrong, any advice?

[ April 21, 2007, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: MyCoCo ]

Check the gunery skills of the man you put in the guns, if it is too low, or they spot too bad they should be almost useless.

You can change the crew position, put the man with higher gunery skills at the guner position, sometimes the better guner is positioned as loader or other.

Yeah I thought that might of been the problem.

The only member of the squads that came in the trucks that had the guns hitched that had even any gunnery skill were the squad leaders. Even then it was only very low though, between 7 and 9 I think.

Does the crew gunner NEED to have gunnery skill for the gun to be usable? I seem to remember crewing guns with infantry with no skill and it worked just fine in the tutorials. Just got no idea why the guns wont even load.

well i just avoided those T34s and headed straight for the objective.i did have to deal with another one.but i had 5 tanks available to take it out at point blank range,lost 3 tanks doing it

as expected the russian armor is fairly lethal

far too good for the german armor.with no air support to be seen in the 3 campaign missions so far.

life is fairly hard for the wehrmacht.

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong tongue.gif . I had placed the guns too far back on the crest and I don't think that it could depress far enough to get a shot in.

Had a break and came back to kick some ruskie bum, placed the Pak 38s on the brow of a distant hill behind my lines after a long drive, to avoid the T-34s picking the trucks off before I could get into position (luckily I had managed to track a couple of them with tanks that got caught out when they first arrived before they were knocked out so the other one seemed reluctant to move.) got them up there, set up a bit further on the crest, just enough so hitting the guns would be hard for HE shells aaand...

grab_2007_4_21_17_17_14_187.jpg

Hurrah! Feuer frie! (sp? :D )

grab_2007_4_21_17_21_52_593.jpg

Managed to knock one out quickly with a lucky shot to the mantlet which took out the gun. The T-34 from behind the train station managed to get a lucky shot and killed my well skilled, tankless tank crew manning one of the guns as well as the gun itself. Typical.

grab_2007_4_21_17_36_56_234.jpg

The other gun stayed safe though and the crew of the second T-34 decided that discretion was the better part of valour after seeing their friends tank get knocked out and several pangs on their own tank.

The final one from behind the station got close assaulted by two IVCs with HEAT when he tried to counter attack my infantry in the trenches they had just stormed.

T-34s, they ain't so tough. tongue.gif

[ April 21, 2007, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: MyCoCo ]

I played this battle last night. You definitely have to get them slightly over the hill so they have a shot on the T-34s. I won this battle pretty decisively the first playthrough. I lost several tanks though, but those pesky T-34s that show up on your right flank only got 2(PzIVC/PzII) of mine. My 50mm PaK popped em good. I even moved them up afterwards to take out the other T-34 that shows up with the BT-7s by the train station. A fun battle for sure.