Cant move MG's?

Chad Harrison

Have the full version and much like the original Combat Mission, I am taking time to get a feel for the game before I decide what I think. I deleted the original Combat Mission when it first came out, came back later and loved it.

After playing for a bit with the scenario editor, and skimming the manual, I am may be missing something but it would appear that there is not way to move your MG's in the game. Am I missing something or is this intentional?

Pretty frustrating to have my .50 cal just sitting there only able to turn in circles, but never move.

Again, am I missing something? I tried assigning more people to move the gun, but I can only have two manning it at a time.

Thanks in advance

Chad

Maxim and the DShK are the only two Heavy or Medium MGs that are transportable. I think it has something to do with animations, or the lack there of.

It seems that 1C tried to do alot with this game but could not achieve everything due to the massive amount of work involved i.e. animations.

I'm impressed with what they did do.

Im perfectly fine with that, in this game I see so much potential I can look past the few 'rough edges'. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something smile.gif

On another note, if you end up back in here, what do you think so far Gunner? I would be interested to hear another 'old time' CM players opinion.

Thx

Chad

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

Im perfectly fine with that, in this game I see so much potential I can look past the few 'rough edges'. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something smile.gif

On another note, if you end up back in here, what do you think so far Gunner? I would be interested to hear another 'old time' CM players opinion.

Thx

Chad

I followed ToW a few years back, like many others. I was excited about it.

When I first started testing I had mixed emotions. I was kind of put off because of its unforgiveness, lack of proper fog of war for defensive emplacements, and I kept comparing it to CM. But I loved the attention to detail as far as graphics and animation. I love watching tank battles from "over the shoulder" of a tank.

Well, you cant compare it to CM and I have since learned to play more conservatively. It definitely has a different feel compared to CM. And it definitely requires patience.

There is ALOT of attention to detail to many aspects of the game (which impresses the hell out of me)...but of course, with the sacrifice to other areas. If you take that into account, you learn to appreciate the game.

Originally posted by gunnersman:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

Thx

Chad

I followed ToW a few years back, like many others. I was excited about it.

When I first started testing I had mixed emotions. I was kind of put off because of its unforgiveness, lack of proper fog of war for defensive emplacements, and I kept comparing it to CM. But I loved the attention to detail as far as graphics and animation. I love watching tank battles from "over the shoulder" of a tank.

Well, you cant compare it to CM and I have since learned to play more conservatively. It definitely has a different feel compared to CM. And it definitely requires patience.

There is ALOT of attention to detail to many aspects of the game (which impresses the hell out of me)...but of course, with the sacrifice to other areas. If you take that into account, you learn to appreciate the game. </font>

Well, after my last post I did some reading and I owe an apology to BFC. Aparantly since my last venture into the CM:SF forums PBEM support has been added. Originally, when it wasnt looking like PBEM would make it I lost all interest in CM:SF. PBEM is the only reason I play CM.

I know this is in the wrong forum, but big old kudos to BFC for getting that in. Suddenly, I am very interested in all things CM:SF.

As a side note, ToW is a good game, its just needs some additional work. Like being able to move MG's smile.gif

Chad

Hi Chad

Re your comments about the Inf and A/T's feeling useless, I thought that at first then I took some time and care in how I used them.

In the allies Campaign there is a mission called Avalanche and I was close to losing it, but used 3 Infantrymen to crawl all the way down a tree line to take out a tank that my A/T's couldn't get at, they also took out a few pesky Infantry that were sniping at my men. Then to win the mission I moved a A/T gun forward and took out the enemy 4 remaining A/T assets with area fire.

A lot of this was done by zooming down to ground level to see what my men could see and what was the best route to achieve my objectives. It just takes a little patience and planning. smile.gif

Originally posted by athkatla:

Hi Chad

Re your comments about the Inf and A/T's feeling useless, I thought that at first then I took some time and care in how I used them.

In the allies Campaign there is a mission called Avalanche and I was close to losing it, but used 3 Infantrymen to crawl all the way down a tree line to take out a tank that my A/T's couldn't get at, they also took out a few pesky Infantry that were sniping at my men. Then to win the mission I moved a A/T gun forward and took out the 4 remaining enemy A/T assets with area fire.

A lot of this was done by zooming down to ground level to see what my men could see and what was the best route to achieve my objectives. It just takes a little patience and planning. smile.gif

athkatla, you're exactly right. TOW rewards a more careful playing style than other games (than CM for example, but also than all the RTS games I played). The little things can make a huge difference. Initially I was playing the game from a "high and back" perspective, but over time I am more and more using the ground view and unit lock, to really command individual guys. The game pace tends to change somewhat when you do it, and you slow yourself down a bit, but become more careful about what you do.

Some people might not like this but I believe this is the playing style that the designers intended, and I personally enjoy it a lot.

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

athkatla, you're exactly right. TOW rewards a more careful playing style than other games (than CM for example, but also than all the RTS games I played). The little things can make a huge difference. Initially I was playing the game from a "high and back" perspective, but over time I am more and more using the ground view and unit lock, to really command individual guys. The game pace tends to change somewhat when you do it, and you slow yourself down a bit, but become more careful about what you do.

Some people might not like this but I believe this is the playing style that the designers intended, and I personally enjoy it a lot.

Martin

Between you and me Martin, Im just so used to CM that I am having to force myself into another game model. Since this game is a RTS game, the comparisons to CM are making a stretch. But they both are from you all (one developed, one published) so the comparision is natural. If ToW had come from another developer, I would never compare it to CM, just as I didnt compare Company of Heroes to CM (for much more obvious reasons).

That being said, and as I have said above, I am enjoying this game. By no means do I feel like I have 'wasted my money'. Theres some things that I need to get used too, like properly using AT assets within the game, and other things that still dont feel quite right, but a patch or two later with some new animations in and I think it will be a solid game.

Im just trying to fill the void of my limited free time with quality games until the next CM comes out.

Martin, did I mention how happy I am that you all got PBEM support in there? Big kudos on that one! :D

Chad