CMAK Freeze

CMAK has been running fine on my computer for ages, but in the last few days I've been hit by an annoying problem. At a seemingly random moment while plotting my moves, the screen freezes up and there's a weird continuous sound loop in the background. At this point I'm forced to reset the computer. It doesn't happen every time, but it's getting more frequent. I haven't installed any new software or changed my computer recently in any way that I can think of. Any ideas?

AMD Athlon 64 3400+

Windows XP SP2

DirectX 9.0C

Nvidia Geforce FX5700

1024MB RAM

I assume that the continuous looping sound is just a symptom of the lockup and not an indication of the culprit.

If you haven't changed anything lately, then your problem may be heat-related. Perhaps it is time to clean out the system of dust and make sure the airflow is good throughout the case and especially near the CPU and videocard. Do you know if there is a temperature difference in the room you have the computer when it locks up compared to when it doesn't (i.e. - is the room warmer when the computer locks up) ?

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

...your problem may be heat-related...Do you know if there is a temperature difference in the room you have the computer when it locks up compared to when it doesn't (i.e. - is the room warmer when the computer locks up) ?

Thanks for the reply. I think you're on to something here. I built this computer last November, so it hasn't experienced summer yet, and we've just been getting into very hot and humid weather, which coincides pretty much with the emergence of the problem.

First I'm going to move it off the desk where it seems to have been absorbing a lot of heat (even through the curtain) and put it in the deep shade under the desk to see if that helps.

Originally posted by Redwolf:

Do you have a second display?

It is useful to pull up temperature monitoring software for video card and CPU on the second monitor so that you can observe it even while the game is running fullscreen on the primary screen.

No, unfortunately I don't have a second monitor.

I ran the NVIDIA System Utility and found that while the CPU temperature stays within reasonable bounds, the system temperature is shooting up to 70C when I have CM running :eek:

Could it be that the fans are not working correctly? How would I go about checking that?

Originally posted by Redwolf:

No 70C is fine for a video card.

If that is while you are running a 3D game? Did you measure while a game is running?

Yeah, 70C while running CMAK. When I'm just doing regular stuff, it's about 47C.

I checked the fans and all are working fine (CPU, power unit, video card + plus two other fans), but still, the case is so hot to the touch while I'm gaming that it worries me...

I just had Far Cry start freezing on a regular basis when I started running around in the underground levels in the second part of the game. Also a soundloop going on while freezing so it sounds like yours.

An update to the 77.72 drivers fixed it, BUT ONLY if I removed the old drivers first. Just over-installing left me with rainbow artifacts.