Why doesn't BF use Bittorrent

PzKpfw IV

Battlefront could use Bittorrent to distribute their demo and even the game since it uses online activation. This would save them teh expence of paying for hosting bandwith, and everyone would get it faster, not having to wait in long dowload cues. Other developers are starting to clue in to the power of torrents. The more that do the more it will become a standard. At least provide it as an alternative method of downloading. Alot of people can download torrents faster than from overcrowded hosting servers.

Its not a bad idea in theory, but then I think my past experiences with Bittorent showed me that it opens up too many security issues to make it a viable option just yet.

We do have a very large and helpful list of mirror sites that help us propogate our demo's and patches and thsi has been a very mutually beneficial relationship.

Still, I am always open for new distribution methods so will look into bittorent again when I have the time.

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

In a way I think it's smart for BFC not to use bittorrent. They'd want their customers not to be too comfortable with it. Why? Check back on BT in a few days and see the full game. Wouldn't want to give people any silly ideas, now would they?

Sure, many use BitTorrent for piracy, but FTP, the most used protocol to transfer files(to/from webservers, home users, companys, etc), is also widely used for piracy, just not as much in public, and you don't see anyone trying to stop it's use.

BitTorrent is a good way to distribute larger files to many users without putting strain on single servers and connections.

By using it more and more for legal purposes, it could loose some of it's "piracy-tag".

And by the way, if people wan't to download the game illegally, they already know how to use BitTorrent or any other necessary protocol.

Originally posted by Elementalism:

As blizzard proved, distribution of for pay items is a bad idea via bit torrent. I still cant believe a company with 8 milion subscribers cant spring for the bandwidth to send us a patch.

And how is that relevant to this discussion? The demo isnt a "pay item".

Anyway, if BF dont want to host their own torrent, it would be nice to add the link I gave earlier to the mirror list for those who like BitTorrent.

[ April 18, 2007, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Zrix ]

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

In a way I think it's smart for BFC not to use bittorrent. They'd want their customers not to be too comfortable with it. Why? Check back on BT in a few days and see the full game. Wouldn't want to give people any silly ideas, now would they?

It doesn't matter, 30 min after release the full version will be available as a torrent whether BF puts it there or not. It may be on there already.

As was stated earlier, the more legitimate use torrent gets the better it gets and the less it will be used for piracy.

My reason for this post is a purely practical one. I can get files much faster off of BT than an overloaded hosting server. I also hate clicking through all the mirror sites looking for one that doesn't charge you for high speed no line up access, or access at all.