Do destroyed unit disappear from map?

KeBrAnTo

Hi there,

Just had a look to a few TOW videos and I've noticed the vehicles disappear after they've been knocked out, I don't know if this occurs to infantry units, guns, or other kind of units as well.

Do this feature work like this, or this is something you can choose if you want them to disappear from map after they've been destroyed or not?. :confused:

I think it would improve the realism of battles and the eisthetic of the battlefield smile.gif , but I repeat I'm not sure if this is working like this just now.

I would like to tell you what a nice job it seems you've done with this release ! smile.gif

Units remain on the battlefield, both vehicles as well as soldiers. What you probably saw in the videos is something else - namely "Fog of War" work. If the video was taken e.g. from the Allied perspective, and you're looking at a German unit, then the German unit might suddenly disappear from view if none of your units has a line of sight to it. That's e.g. what happened at the end of the Symphony of War movie to the German 2cm Flak AA-gun.

Martin

PS. Not only do vehicles remain on the battlefield, you can target them deliberately after they're knocked out to e.g. prevent their use by the enemy. So you can shoot up a disabled tank pretty good even if it's abandoned for example. Due to the details simulated with most vehicles, including impact holes, equipment flying away, burn marks etc. this part of the game is more realistic than many others in fact.

Martin

Ohhh !!!, that's good news really !!! smile.gif

You're right moon. It might be that you say, Fog Of War and yes, it was in that video you said where I saw that Flak disappearing.

You've wiped out that worry out of my mind smile.gif

Really looking forward to have that download link ready now after doing the pre-order !!!

Originally posted by Moon:

PS. Not only do vehicles remain on the battlefield, you can target them deliberately after they're knocked out to e.g. prevent their use by the enemy. So you can shoot up a disabled tank pretty good even if it's abandoned for example. Due to the details simulated with most vehicles, including impact holes, equipment flying away, burn marks etc. this part of the game is more realistic than many others in fact.

Martin

Not a retorical question, just wondering. Do you mean use by the enemy next battle or present battle? And do you refer to the tank crew regaining their tank back or infantry.

I don't think it was prevalent for ground troops to man an armoured vehicle during battle, thats why I'm askin. I have read of specific cases of AT guns being taken over and immediatly put into use, and one case of a howitzer battery having its gun turned towards its own side. We all know about audi murphy manning the AA 50 cal on the abandoned sherman. A halftrak most infantry have been exposed to. But to actually crew and operate a tank seems a little James Bondish. Even suicidal if you don't know what you're doing. I could be wrong and it may have happened.

How is it implemented in the game?

The taking of enemy equipment (or retaking of friendly) is only for that particular scenario. And either the original crew or infantry or other crewmen could do so.

The efficiency with which the new owners can utilize their equipment is based on their skills. So a full Sherman crew could jump into an abandoned Tiger and operate it well. Infantry that has no expertise at all with gunnery or driving would find it impossible to utilize that same tank. Infantry with a basic understanding could operate the tank but would not be very good. Typically, commanders have some useful skills, as have survivors of previous battles, due to the XP points earned that you distributed over various skills after the battle.

Guns are a different matter. Dragging it into position and pointing it at a target isn't rocket science so even a crew with a big fat 0 in gunnery could use an abandoned gun. Do make allowances for them not being able to hit the broad side of a barn though.

In short, things work more or less as you'd expect them to.

To expand slightly on what Elamr said....I have sent men into abandoned tanks (both friendly and enemy) and had them bail out on their own as soon as they get in. This pretty much told me "don't be silly trying to think you're gonna operate that tank with those guys...nice try but it ain't happening".

Now capturing a gun? That has not only saved me a few times but been VERY cool when you do it.