Martin van Balkom says:

theBrit

Martin van Balkom from Battlefront.com said: "Theatre of War is not going to be the most realistic wargame out there because that's not the design goal; but it will stand head and shoulders above the rest of the WW2 RTS genre as being the game created by the combined talent of the same people who brought you the award-winning Combat Mission and IL-2 Sturmovik game series!"
Really is it not, then name a WW2 RTS that is more realistic? I thought that this was one of your marketing features, its realism!

Its one of the reasons why I am looking forward to it. :confused:

You have to read his statement again ;)

I assume he wanted to say the following: Combat Mission is the most realistic wargame out there. Ok, it is not RTS. But in the RTS crowd, ToW will be the ultimate when it comes to realism.

Martin is not using the term RTS in his first sentence.....

Marketing statements and political statements have to make a fine line between not lying and boosting whatever they want to say!

Uwe

As a Marketing Executive in my previous role I am aware of the fine line people must tread but there is also highlighting positives and overall consistency in the statements you release.

To me its quite clear that Realism is a major selling point for this game as this website statement highlights.

"Real Time Combat Simulation – Realistic shell ballistics, armor penetration calculations and damage effects coupled with destructible environments, trenches, fortifications and individually tracked weapons, equipment, ammo and vehicles."

So saying: "Theatre of War is not going to be the most realistic wargame out there because that's not the design goal" is negative and implies ever so slightly thats its not a priority.

A statement like this would have perhaps been better and would have placated both the Realism and BF fans alike;

"Our design goal was to combine both realism & enjoyable gameplay in this unique Real Time Combat Simulation. We are confident that we have achieved this and know that TOW will be the leader in its genre"

Its genre being a unique angle of RTS gameplay. ;)

Originally posted by theBrit:

So saying: "Theatre of War is not going to be the most realistic wargame out there because that's not the design goal" is negative and implies ever so slightly thats its not a priority.

The people who crave realism are far outnumbered by people that do not, many are even scared off by it so it is not a negative. The statement by Moon is perfectly fine in both objective (not scaring off casual gamers) and fact. (it really isn't the most realistic tactical game out there)

Originally posted by franz:

the most realistic wargame ever produced in the whole world, the whole universe, and throughout the whole duration of human existence is.... COMBAT MISSION.

Everyone agree ?

Doesn't that go without saying? ;)