binocular

TankCommander

Hello All,

sorry if I compare TOW with Red Orchestra because both games are totally different type of games. RO is a FPS and TOW is a RTS game. But anyhow I really like to use the binocular in RO. So my question is will TOW support the use of a binocular in order to see enemy infantry, tanks etc. that are more far away? :confused:

To switch between the normal sight and a binocular is much more faster and useful for inspecting near and far away combined arms forces than using keyboard or the mouse wheel to zoom in and out to different directions of sight.

To see the enemy first before he see's you is vital in land combat!!!

TankCommander

[ November 25, 2006, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: TankCommander ]

I think every serious tank commander in WWII had a binocular. At least the leader of a tank group should have a binocular.

So if TOW doesn't support this it cannot be called realistic. Then it's just one more of these dozens of unrealistic RTS games out there.

In almost every RTS game you command all of your troops from a birds view position high above the battlefield. Which commander or general in WWII had this possibility except he flew with a airplane?

It would be great if TOW supports a binocular when you are locked to the tank commanders view. :D

keep in mind we are not looking for uber-realism in these games.

Combat Mission was a major smash hit, and in that game you could fly all over the map from any angle.

A game is a game, if you want uber-realism then build yourself a time machine.

The line of sight is emulated in the game. Not neccesarily with a binocular "wrapper."

Of course there is the problem of reconciling the tank commander's view with that of the rest of the tank crew observing their surroundings through unique hatches and/or viewing slits.

What the driver or gunner sees may not neccesarily be what the tank commander sees, or is looking at.

Originally posted by TankCommander:

I think every serious tank commander in WWII had a binocular. At least the leader of a tank group should have a binocular.

So if TOW doesn't support this it cannot be called realistic. Then it's just one more of these dozens of unrealistic RTS games out there.

In almost every RTS game you command all of your troops from a birds view position high above the battlefield. Which commander or general in WWII had this possibility except he flew with a airplane?

It would be great if TOW supports a binocular when you are locked to the tank commanders view. :D

ToW is not a tank sim.

You might be TankCommander, but when playing ToW you're not.

My guess is that binoculars will be abstracted in to the LOS/spotting AI. It seems any tank where the commander is out of the hatch should get a spotting bonus. The tank should have to be stopped or going very slow for the bonus to kick in. Just my guess and opinion.

Originally posted by Pak40:

My guess is that binoculars will be abstracted in to the LOS/spotting AI. It seems any tank where the commander is out of the hatch should get a spotting bonus. The tank should have to be stopped or going very slow for the bonus to kick in. Just my guess and opinion.

only problem being that there are no unbuttoned tank commanders, you'll havbe to make them abandon ship to let them have a firsthand peek outside.

at least so far, who knows what magic BTS will put to work on ToW.

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

only problem being that there are no unbuttoned tank commanders, you'll havbe to make them abandon ship to let them have a firsthand peek outside.

at least so far, who knows what magic BTS will put to work on ToW.

Really? That sucks. Man, little things here and there keep chipping away at the credibility of this being a realistic combat game. How can you NOT have unbuttoned tanks in a game like this???