any more russian opinions ?

franz

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried multiplayer via LAN myself. Very good, it's limited though. You can choose from several maps, from maps for 4 players up to maps for 8 players. Each player has a starting location. Usually there is something interesting in the center, for example village with AI forces and AT battery. You can go for it and try to secure it before other players to have an advantage. In one map there is 2 75mm french guns in the center village and no AI - the first player claimed them, but i've managed to defeat him (only a handful of my soldiers survived though).

In initial setup you choose map, nationality (or set it to random) and can choose alliance. You can join alliances with other players to achieve victory (and then turn against your former ally, i think). There is no way to setup your forces, i think what forces you receive exactly is random.

Random nationality means fun. In Bastogne map I was given american forces (2xAbrams, 2x scout wheeled cars, one tank destroyer (Wolverine?...) and one M3 Lee). I've started attacking the central village with Paks, thinking that it is my opponent, but some time after this i saw several Comets and Churchills appeared on the left hill and opened fire from ~500m. Britain vs USA, wow. Then i discovered that in this case i have an tremendous advantage against my opponent - his tanks were wiped out without losses from my side (Comets are hardly worth it, and Churchills were knocked out fast, probably from tank destroyer).

As you can see, initial setup give you armor. In another battle i was given 2xT-34, T-70 and a lorry with several infantrymen, my opponent - 2xPz3J, Pz-38(t) and infantry too (he captured AT guns with it). Scenario ended when my last T-34 with broken turret and only driver left alive inside smashed last AT gun, burying it's crew under him. T-34, slowly advancing, breaking trees on it's way and receiving hit after hit from AT gun in front was a site to behold. If my opponent ordered his AT gun to shoot in lower hull instead of general direction of my tank, driver would probably died immediately and i would loose.

Battles for two players are very fast, up to 20mins. Kinda duel.

It's a pity there is no means of recording mission like in IL-2 (it would be great to see records of single and multiplayer battles afterwards, when you have time to close up drooling over very detalied models and watch this as a war movie). I heard rumors it will be in the patch (maybe).

I think now we're restricted to these several multiplayer maps, which have pre-defined start places for each player (up to 8). Forces given are somehow randomized. Dog-fight, yes, and quick. I imagine that with full 8 players it would be hell of fight (maps for 8 players are larger than for 4 players). Maybe historical scenarios will be made playable with patch, i don't know. But there is no 'rush for the flags' (no flags exist on the map), it's just fight to the last soldier.

'Abrams' - Sherman of course. I was sleepy:) There is Jumbo Sherman in the game too, as i recall.

BTW, imagine the possibilities of team play on 8 player maps. For example, two teams of 4 players each, USSR and Germany. Each of the 4 players in a team have a task wich is a part of the whole team task - defending the flank, flanking, assault, etc. The pre-battle setup would be very useful then.

Originally posted by CoolColJ:

they need a lobby for mulitplayer!

You can say that again. Users should not have to post to a forum to find opponents. Playing time being as limited as it is, I can't afford to post requests for opponents or try to schedule games for a later date and time when I THINK I will be available. With a lobby, you sign on and play. :(