how can this be a click fest?

graetwulff

****How could it be a clickfest? Well, Im gonna mod it so the ranges are super short, Shermans are just as powerful as Tigers, introduce heathbars, repair trucks, ect...Also will make all squads graphics 3 men...oh, and an auto-pause every 60 sec...tank factorys, of course...and also you wont be able to enter buildings...oh...wait a minute... ;)

The engagement ranges etc aren't really the issue. The issue is how many units you have to give orders too at any one point. That's what makes a click-fest.

If you have 3 Shermans in overwatch you want to start firing, you want to start a mortar barrage while starting rapid-fire on a section of line with 2 companies and you want a a flank assault with another, you're going to have problems unless you can pause and give orders.

The arguments go..

Against pause: Could you do this in real life? Not with the amount of co-ordination you have, therefore you should not have a pause and you have to give orders to each unit.

For pause: Could you do this in real life? Not with the amount of co-ordination you have, but yes, you could give orders to the section leaders to do something at a specific time, and each man thinks for himself so you don't have to give everyone orders. Therefore introduce a different mechanism to ensure real-life results.

I'm in the "for pause" camp, as I think although we're in an un-natural situation by being in a gods eye view, limiting what can be done by how many units you can click in a certain time is a bad counter to it, so another mechanism should be introduced.

If it was a perfect world, this would be limited by the command net, or by being able to make a plan where you have all units do certain things at specific game times, however, this may not be a fun dynamic and is already too complex for the player and game system. So introduce command delays for units, based on the units morale and experience, while allowing as many orders as you want to be given by having a pause.

And of course, this means you can get another beer or have a pee.

Along with the pause, how about having the game autosave when the "P" key is depressed? That way, players can reload the game if anything goes wrong and won't ever lose. At that point, the only thing missing from the package would be the inclusion of a butt-plug which would allow them to hold their stool until Thanksgiving.

PoE

Originally posted by Prince of Eckmühl:

That way, players can reload the game if anything goes wrong and won't ever lose. At that point, the only thing missing from the package would be the inclusion of a butt-plug which would allow them to hold their stool until Thanksgiving.

Spoken like a true king of clickfest titles.

Originally posted by Prince of Eckmühl:

Along with the pause, how about having the game autosave when the "P" key is depressed? That way, players can reload the game if anything goes wrong and won't ever lose. At that point, the only thing missing from the package would be the inclusion of a butt-plug which would allow them to hold their stool until Thanksgiving.

PoE

CM series have the autosave-every-60-seconds feature.

Is it a bad game?

OK LISTEN UP !!

If you need a pause button to make tactiacal and strategic decisions then really you need to go and buy a board game or go and play civ4.

This is a tactical game..its not sit and ponder my next move.

By putting a pause button in you are destroying the unpredictability and the feeling being totally in the moment. I DONT WANT TO SIT AND WAIT FOR COLONEL KLINK TO MAKE UP HIS MIND AFTER HE REALISES HOGAN HAS BEEN HIDING THE RADIO IN THE TEAPOT!!!!!!

If you want a pause and play game this is not the game for you...its ridiculous...funny thing for people who want a pause button, is that you think that speed of the mind in making good decisions is bad???

WAKE UP..and give yourselfs an uppercut while your at it.

---------------------------

Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order. John Adams

Originally posted by edgars:

CM series have the autosave-every-60-seconds feature.

Is it a bad game?

Well, the topic is "clickfest..."

With that in mind I'd humbly submit that the average player will expend a heck of a lot more clicks in a medium size/length scenario of CM than the game to which this forum is dedicated.

This is true because the friendly AI is so bad in the older game. In fact, you'll be hard-pressed to find one that's worse. Friendlies typically don't do anything on their own, other than face, fire or run away.

If the friendly AI in Theatres of War is as bad as that in CM, it'll fail. I haven't played the new game, so I don't know. Until I have a look at it, all I can do is keep an open mind regarding its several attempts at innovation.

After reading some of the comments about the game(s), I'm reminded of the old saying, "the only people who look forward to change are babies with dirty diapers." How true, how true, of the pure of thought, here at the BFC forums.

PoE

[ September 25, 2006, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Prince of Eckmühl ]

Originally posted by Sammy_Davis_Jnr:

OK LISTEN UP !!

If you need a pause button to make tactiacal and strategic decisions then really you need to go and buy a board game or go and play civ4.

This is a tactical game..its not sit and ponder my next move.

By putting a pause button in you are destroying the unpredictability and the feeling being totally in the moment. I DONT WANT TO SIT AND WAIT FOR COLONEL KLINK TO MAKE UP HIS MIND AFTER HE REALISES HOGAN HAS BEEN HIDING THE RADIO IN THE TEAPOT!!!!!!

If you want a pause and play game this is not the game for you...its ridiculous...funny thing for people who want a pause button, is that you think that speed of the mind in making good decisions is bad???

WAKE UP..and give yourselfs an uppercut while your at it.

---------------------------

Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order. John Adams

Somewhere in this post there's a reasonable point. He does his best to hide it; it sneaked in anyway ;)

There IS an issue with breaking the player out of the immersion created by implementing a pause button - true. However, there's a balance to be drawn between playability and immersion. You could say giving a unit an order breaks immersion, command lines break immersion, being able to save the game breaks immersion - in short all the calls the devs have to make to make the game playable.

The introduction of a multi-player pause key is another such call. There's a chance it will reduce the depth to which the player feels they are taking part in a war, but it will make the game a lot more playable.

Also, we may need one anyway - simply for its beer & pee functionality.

I'm open to suggestions on restrictions of its use to avoid mis-use but I definately think it needs to be in.

Well here's the thing. For SP anyway...if you don't like a pause key, DONT USE IT. If you do like it (and I do), then by all means make use of it.

In multiplay, why not discuss the use of such a thing in the lobby (assuming there is a lobby) before joining a game?

Better yet, to the devs, how about you make a pause button toggle for multiplayer games? So it's either on, for anyone to use, or it's off for everyone.

Problem solved.