Tank sim potential?

gunnersman

Well, since ToW uses a modified version of the IL2 fighter sim engine, and is suppose to have excellent AI, and many of the necessary models are already there, it wouldnt take too much would it?

Of course you would need interior modeling, sights, new sounds (for instance sounds of shell loading into the breach and being ejected after the gun fires) and other various sundry touches, I am sure.

There has not been a decent tank sim since "Panzer Elite".

(Seed planted :cool: )

[ September 10, 2006, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: gunnersman ]

Originally posted by HeinzBaby:

Gunnersman wrote:

There has not been a decent tank sim since "Panzer Elite".

Now that was a great Sim for its time, I particularly enjoyed the Italian Campaign..

I hope you were thinking only WW2 thou,

otherwise 'SteelBeasts Pro' wipes the floor :D

But of course!

There are two or three east front Tank Sims in development. One is T-34 vs Tiger from G5 Software (who are also developing the helo sim Whirlwind Vietnam for 1C), the second is a yet to be announced early war sim, the third is only in the rumour stage.

Yeah, PE was a great WWII tank sim, one of my favs. It was very disappointing to see the brand name used for such a piss poor action arcade tank shoot-up known as PE: Action. Although the market is ripe for another WWII tank sim. Been watching that T-34 vs Tiger game for awhile. Let's hope it delivers.

The older Steel Beasts is great though. Haven't bought the $150 Pro yet, but I've heard it's damn good. Not sure if it's worth that much though. There was a lengthy discussion over in the GF awhile back. Try a search.

RO is great, been using the tank maps for my tanking fix, awesome infantry game as well. A buddy and me use skype for coordination which can also be used if your on a teamspeak server for comms with everybody else on your team. It can be quite a sight on the tank maps like BlackDayJuly(Kursk map) or on Orel when both sides bring most of their tanks towards a cap point for a head on clash. It's like 2 full tank companies exchanging blows, great fun. smile.gif

Originally posted by CoolColJ:

I dunno, even in RO the tanks don't seem quite big enough in scale to me even with my 22 inch monitor

no game has got the scale right yet IMO. Tigers etc are huge tall things, I don't get that feeling :(

Simple, just use the crouch key when close to them. They look much bigger that way. :D

Seriously though, I agree, the scale of the tanks does seem a little small in relation to infantry, not by much though. But it certainly doesn't detract from the overall game experience. Afterall, it's not really a true tank sim, just sim-like.

I dunno, even in RO the tanks don't seem quite big enough in scale to me even with my 22 inch monitor

no game has got the scale right yet IMO. Tigers etc are huge tall things, I don't get that feeling :(

Ever stood next to a real Tiger? They aren't 'huge tall things'. The Sherman is the same height, and the Lee is higher. I think you're projecting what you expect a Tiger to be like.

pretty big and tall to me smile.gif

http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tigereb1.jpg

Compare it to a Sherman. Compare it to a Lee. Hell, compare it to a KV-1.

They're big, don't get me wrong - but they're not that much larger than any other equivalent tank. I've seen the Bovington tiger several times. At present they have it next to their latest King Tiger acquisition (they have one with a Krupp (?) turret and one with a Porsche turret) now that's a big tank.

You shouldn't compare what you've seen in one computer game to what you see in another and assume that either's accurate. The Tiger is not that big. The Lee is far higher, the KV-1 is almost as wide. The Sherman is nearly the same height. The Jagdpanther is bigger. If you want a big tank, look at the British TOG II and the A33 Excelsior.