Can Macintosh resource files be increasd in size?

The size limitations of Macintosh resource files is a big pain in the a** for those of us who are mod sluts! :( I really hate having an awesome winter mod that I can't install because Graphic 13 has reached its limit.

So, for the Mac geniuses out there, is there a way to increase the size of resource files, perhaps using ResEdit?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buckeye:

One more shameless bump...

Any Mac gurus out there who can answer this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks like we don't know.(I believe it is no, but I am not certain.) Have you tried posting to a newsnet Mac programming site? I am sure someone on those sites would know.

Regards

[ 05-30-2001: Message edited by: pford ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buckeye:

Thanks guys. Posting to a newsnet Mac programming site is probably a good idea, although I'm not sure exactly how to do so. :(

Any suggestions?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try groups.google.com and go to the comp.sys.mac section such as comp.sys.mac.programmer

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&group=comp.sys.mac

This will give you a list of sections.

You will have to register to post.

Hey everyone,

took me a while to get to the forum, been a crazy year so far.

In regards to the resource file size, I havent seen any written evidence that the file size is limited, but our practical experience says otherwise. I'll keep looking into it, but I think we have reached a limitation of the resource file size.

as for using MCM3, or manually placing winter graphics in other resource files, it does not appear that CM will find winter textures in any graphic resource file besides G13. Charles and I had discussed putting a hook in for a G14 file, to allow even more winter textures to be installed, but my tests indicate this hook is not in the current version of CM. At the time (mid last year), we didnt think it was really needed, and I didnt want to bother Charles with something that appeared to not be needed. Sorry bout that.

(as for non-winter graphics: I think they can be placed in any of the resource files except G13, so you theoretically could use G11 and G12 for additional textures, but MCM3 will not support this - you'll have to do it manually. Not sure though, has someone tried this?)

Anyway, I'm not sure what I'll do with MCM3 now. I could revise it to allow easier swapping of resources, so you could store alternate G13's elsewhere and switch to it to play certain games, or we can just live with the limitations with the resource file size. Thoughts?

I'll send Charles and Steve an email, to make certain that we have more options for CM2. I'm sure they've thought of it, but just in case... and, I need to get some ideas for the mod manager for CM2.. :)

Just thought I'd provide an update.

best,

d

ave