Woods?

joesnuffy03

Ive been looking at some screens and I have yet to see woods or the like for infantry.. From the screens posted it looks like tanks are gods in this ame without infantry able to hide and get in good AP shots.. I really want one of you to prove me wrong.. I really think other than that and the no 60 sec pause feature this will be my fav game smile.gif

My offer was directed to joesnuffy since he started this post.

Normally vehicles try to avoid trees but there is a command you can give them where they basically move straight ahead and if they are big/heavy enough they can knock over trees, fences and other obstructions in their way.

I will have to experiment to see if there are trees that are too big to knock over. I know that not all vehicles can do that though.

Madmatt

Sorry for delay.. something like infantry going through scattered trees.. enough so that an enemy unit would have problems losing them in the "fog of war" maybe a recon group.. that isnt seen because of being in a dense forest overlooking an enemy position.. or even have the recon squad in tall grass or the like

Thanks alot.. also I was wondering about the ability to pick up weapons etc.. Lets say a squad with no training in gun placements wants to use an enemy Pak gun.. they kill or make all the crew leave the gun... Will they be able to use the gun as well as a squad trained in using it.. ?

Sam question for a man picking up a bazooka etc..

Originally posted by joesnuffy03:

Thanks alot.. also I was wondering about the ability to pick up weapons etc.. Lets say a squad with no training in gun placements wants to use an enemy Pak gun.. they kill or make all the crew leave the gun... Will they be able to use the gun as well as a squad trained in using it.. ?

Sam question for a man picking up a bazooka etc..

Yes they can. However their efficiency would be very low. However a good idea would be to use for example crew of a damaged tank - they will operate a gun much better than infantry guys.

I also confimr that vehicles would avoid areas with trees. You can force a heavy tank to plow through trees with a Storm command.

Same command will apply if you, say, want to run down a gun emplacement. The tank will just crush it moving directly at it.

Regarding woods:

One thing that the CM "homogenized" LOS degradation system for vegetation avoids successfully is the occurance of what I like to call "Freak LOS" events in woods, namely some LOS lines that wriggle through the trees deep into the heart of woods. This happens when you treat trees as individual objects without undergrowth around them.

How does ToW approach such LOS issues?

Best regards,

Thomm

Rollstoy, I have no answer to the question at the moment (need to test, or somebody else will jump in), but if you ask me, what you call "freak LOS" is very much realistic. I live in a heavily wooded area and these kinds of freak LOS occur all the time.

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

Rollstoy, I have no answer to the question at the moment (need to test, or somebody else will jump in), but if you ask me, what you call "freak LOS" is very much realistic. I live in a heavily wooded area and these kinds of freak LOS occur all the time.

Martin

Do you mean that random shells are still flying around? :D:D :cool:

Yes but you have more trees per scare meter than in the game.

Using the smaller number of trees in the game for literal LOS tracking will create many more LOS holes than in reality.

The game is using 1 to 1 representation though, so if you see light woods with few trees per square meter, than that is exactly what you're supposed to see.

Yes, but my point was that I don't think you can model dense woods on the ToW scale by drawing each tree, that'll kill any current graphics card.

So the question is whether there is LOS tracking by 3D tree - in which case you wouldn't have dense woods, or whether there's an abstraction going on that replaced 3D model LOS tracking for woods.

Yeah I can see it now.. and entire squad in single line formation side stepping trying to use a tree as cover.. smile.gif Thats what I'm trying to get at.. is there going to be woods etc.. just something a squad.. not one man can hide in and not be seen by the enemy. Not sure how it would be done with LOS to 3D tree.. that would raise the GFX card specs alot, but an abstract would make it possible without taking away from any players. Or if its being considered at all. So far the game looks great.. A pause feature for large battles would be even better and I see that is being talked about in other post and this is the only 2 things I need to know before I go crazy about having to get this game on release

• 1 month later...