No FOG in CM or CMBB with Radeon 9000Pro

I recently replaced my GeForce 2 MX with a new ATI Radeon 9000Pro card. I installed the latest drivers from ATI for it. Card is a huge improvment in speed and visual quality in everything, but now Fog doesn't work in CM or CMBB :( . What's the problem? I'm running XP Pro.

aleader:

I just put together a new system and bought my graphics card based on this very issue. I really wanted the new ATI card, but couldn't live without fog in CM!

I'm not positive, but I believe the problem is ATI. I have seen other references to the "no fog" thing with their cards in other games, which really is unbelievable. Especially with their brand new cards---no fog?!

Anyway, I ended up going with a g4 Ti4400 card just because of it. I couldn't really get a definite answer, and didn't want to gamble.

ATI video cards don't support fog-tables (also called Pixel/Particle Fog) under DirectX (they do under RAVE on the Mac). Instead ATI supports Vertex Fog, which isn't what CM uses. There are a number of other games that have this problem with fog effects and ATI cards.

I have no idea if this is true under OpenGL or not.

So to summarize, it's a problem with the ATI drivers and they haven't changed their support for fog-tables in years. I don't suspect that they'll change it for the latest Radeons either.

Damn, that's a shame because the card is so good otherwise (Madden looks and plays fantastic :eek: ). I got it 'cause I have a wife who doesn't believe buying computer stuff is a 'worthwhile expense' :rolleyes: , and it was quite a bit cheaper (only $83 US) than a GF Ti card. Really, I rarely play games in CM with fog, but it's a kicker nonetheless. What are some other games that are affected by this stupidity?