Great news… quick question.

kipanderson

Hi,

I think this is great news, it means that Theatre of War has passed a very high quality test and will no doubt be better for it. Also… I am one of those who believe there is no finite limit to the number of high quality; realistic, tactical wargames there can be at any one time. So the more the better. I for sure will be buying both ToW and all the CMX2 releases… excepting any science fiction CMX2 games ;) .

However…. I do have a concern.

Each to their own when it comes to what we like to see in a wargame, and what we like to be left out. For me realism is hugely important because it is the realism that generates the fun. Any way… lets not get into a long rant on the finer points of what is meant be realism, I can do these rants if need be… but who cares. The point I am leading to is that the “inclusion” of some features can badly hit realism so killing the game. The answer is to have options to turn off features that may be popular in “shooters” but not in real “wargames”.

An example is giving the virtual, digital soldiers too much freedom to use captured weapons, allow infantrymen to jump into tanks and drive off…. and so forth.

I am not trying to exclude such features from ToW… but am lobbying for the option to be able to turn off the above listed type of feature.

Realism does demand realistic limits on what can and cannot be done by the virtual soldiers. The freedom virtual soldiers have in “shooters” would kill ToW unless there was an option to turn some of these freedoms off.

Greatly looking forward to both ToW and CMX2,

All the best,

Kip.

Hi Kip, this very topic is the focus of an ongoing internal discussion right now. I am not sure what the outcome will be ultimately because there are many variables to keep in mind. One thing is sure - it's bound to get more realistic rather then less realistic now that we're involved smile.gif

Martin

Martin, hi,

“One thing is sure - it's bound to get more realistic rather then less realistic now that we're involved ”

Sounds great to me smile.gif .

I respect the guys at 1C for what they did in the past, flight simulators are not my thing, but I know quality when I see it. The same attention to detail in a land warfare game and the result will be stunning.

But I guessed a bit of restraint on the “infantrymen jumping into tanks” front will be needed. You can have a great simulator/game and then have something happen that is so wildly unrealistic it kills the game.

All the best,

Kip.

I'm with Kip on this one.

Matt's excellent example of a gun crew member single-handedly manning a KV1 sounds brilliant but I would hope that such instances should be very restricted. Nice to see sometimes but not often

For the most part I would hope to see only displaced tank crew re-man tanks and gun crews re-man guns. Even then, only on an occaisional basis.