New Scenario - "Hide and Seek"

The coloring of the foliage and terrain differs a bit too much. This isn't a problem in reality, but in DT it kind of is.

Case in point, you have those dark colored patches of dirt covered in the yellow grasses. With the way foliage is rendered, the patch looks dark, almost black, from a distance, and it gets progressively more yellow as you get closer and foliage is rendered in.

I find this a bit trippy. It's also a bit unintuitive on the minimap too, I guess. Perhaps you can throw some splashings of the foliage texture/coloring into the terrain, however it's done?

Well, even with green you'll have the discrepancy.

Raid, for example, seems to put green texturings under most or all of it's foliage areas.

Of course, I'm operating under blissful ignorance of how much work adding those texture masks are. ;)

Here's the skinny on what's going on with foliage. Below is a screenshot of Hub's scenario with yellow grass:

HubGrass.jpg

The grass in the foreground looks good while the grass in the background looks "funky". The reason for that is that the grass in the foreground matches the color of the terrain beneath it. The grass in the background is on a purple-brown patch of land, but the grass is still the same yellow. The "color" of the ground, especially in the distance, is supposed to represent how the ground looks, including the foliage on it.

So if we switched instead to a darker brown kind of grass, then that brown patch in the background would now look good, but the yellow terrain in the foreground would now look "funky".

When we had green grass, then it looked funky on BOTH the yellow and brown areas, because neither of them was green.

So the basic problem is that the same terrain type mask, which is tied to the foliage, is covering both of these differently colored areas in the base texture.

Now, minor variations in base texture color are a very good thing. But major differences in color, within the same "terrain type" as specified by the mask, when using foliage, lead to this problem.

The best solution would be for the terrain type mask that has yellow grass associated with it to only cover the yellow parts of the terrain. Or, if you want browner grass, then make that mask only cover the brown parts of the terrain (and not the yellow parts). As long as that one terrain type covers both the yellow and brown patches, then you will never be able to have a foliage color that doesn't look funky on one or the other (or both) of them.

Does this make sense?

Latest, final version of Hub's scenario is now reflected in the original link above.

Dark, that's a really good idea to get a 4th channel. In the long run, breaking it out into an unlimited number of grayscale images (instead of using the r,g,b,a channels from a single image) would be the most flexible of all. But using the alpha is a very clever way to get a 4th channel easily in the short-run, so we'll do it. Thanks for the idea!

• 2 weeks later...

The scenario has 4 turrets of each type for the defender. The only problem is that in the data file it is calling for the old Plasma Turrets rather then the new Missile and 76mm turrets.

Also, I find that both sides tend run out of units towards the end, espec with the bots using up stuff like no tommorow. Perhaps a slight increase to inventories might be in order. I'm not suggesting much, perhaps a couple cutters for the defense and couple more Paladins and infantry squads.

I thought it had been mentioned, but thought it best to be sure.

What do people think about a Cutter or two for the defenders? There are a couple places that a trench or two would be rather useful.

Overall, I do like the scenario. Just looking for a few tweaks to make it better.

The one thing that worries me is the AA turrets will increase the number of attacker deaths, and I find that they are normally running out of units that can actually hold the objective by the end of the map as it is.