Unable to enter "Sea Cliffs"

Bertram

After playing some other scenario's on the server, without to much trouble (other then people blowing me up) the scenario "Sea Cliffs" was selected.

I could not enter this scenario. During the build up my computer got stuck at the "minimap building" step. After about 5 minutes without progress I had to kill the program with <ctrl><alt><del> (WinXP user). I tried two more times, but the program hung at the same place.

Indeed, Volcanic Deposits does also get stuck at the minimap building step. Disabling texture caching does not help (as I expected, texture caching is a separate step).

My system is a Athlon 64/3000 (1.8 GHz) with 2 G internal memory and a 6600GT/PCI card. Should be enough to handle it I would think...

Options settings for Dropteam are:

terrain quality and viewing distance high,

anti aliasing off

Full screen, sound, VBO, shaders, texture caching, particles, los, hi-res and collision damage on.

Video mode 1280x1024x32, Sound hardware generic.

(I could try dropping in a Soundblaster Live! card, would help my CPU a little bit I guess).

Edit: set viewing distance and terrain to medium, and all options off, that started the game. Viewing distance to high and terrain to high worked too, but adding VBO made the program hang. Some pointers on what variables have influence and which do not would be appreciated.

Edit2: deleted and reloaded the NVidia drivers, and that did the trick. (I thought I had already the latest version, but I could be wrong. XP has the habit of getting the not-latest-drivers automatically from the internet)

[ October 29, 2006, 02:44 AM: Message edited by: Bertram ]

Originally posted by Bertram:

Indeed, Volcanic Deposits does also get stuck at the minimap building step. Disabling texture caching does not help (as I expected, texture caching is a separate step).

My system is a Athlon 64/3000 (1.8 GHz) with 2 G internal memory and a 6600GT/PCI card. Should be enough to handle it I would think...

Well - the SeaCliffs and Volcanic maps were designed and built on an Athlon64/3400+ with 1Gb of memory and an NVidia 6800GT 256MB card (yes I know I should get more main memory). So your system isn't so far away from mine (except I run Ubuntu Linux AMD64 native rather than Windows XP 32bit).

Glad to hear that the driver update solved the issue.

Originally posted by Random Generic:

I've never been able to enter the Sea Cliffs scenario! And when it was includude in the upgrade on the FTP sever it always said that one of the Sea Cliff sections was corrupted, even though I downloaded it several times.

You can get the SeaCliffs scenario off my web page directly - try comparing the files and see if something strange has happened.

http://tjwhaynes.googlepages.com/dropteamresource

Linux/Mac/Windows?