xp vs xp?

f-bomb

You may need to be more specific about the problem that you're seeing. Do you not connect ? Are you using any firewall (software or hardware based) ? Windows XP has a built-in firewall that is automatically turned on with Service Pack 2. This may prevent CM from communicating over TCP Port 7023, which needs to be open to play anyone via TCP/IP in CM.

yes the problem is if i host a game my opponent cant connect. i do have service pack 2, i thought i turned off the built in firewall, and my own firewall. how exactly do you open the port? the person i was playing against has xp, not the serv. pack 2, he hosted and it wasnt a problem. thanks for your help

If you have turned off the built-in firewall (Start Menu > Control Panel > Network Connections control panel > Local Area Connection (most likely) > Properties button > Advanced tab > Settings button under the 'Windows Firewall' section > the 'Off' radio-button selection should be selected if it is off), then there should be no need to 'open' the TCP Port for CM since it is open by default for Windows.

However, if you're running another software firewall (ZoneAlarm, etc.) or your router has a built-in firewall (many do), then you'll need to open the port there. How you do this will vary on the particular firewall you may be using. You need to open it for both incoming and out-going connections. Some software firewalls may have application-level security that allows connections specified by an executable (the program is allowed to open and use whatever ports it wants as long as it is granted the capability in host or client mode, etc.).

Routers will typically have specific port addresses that can be opened or closed.